corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » This barcode thingy on the dash board near tax disc

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author This barcode thingy on the dash board near tax disc
Haimsey
Premium Member

User status: Offline
23rd Sep 11 at 12:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it a mot requirement for it to be there (in that exact place)?
Can it be re-located? Idea of where?

Thanks x

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
Ellis

23rd Sep 11 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VIN plate I assume? I think it just has to be attached to the car and correct, location isn't important AFAIK.
Paul W
Premium Member

23rd Sep 11 at 14:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've taken mine off, smoothed the holes where it was. As far as i know some corsas don't have them there anyway.

Rio Verde Bagged More Door Project
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Sep 11 at 14:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Introduced around 97 I think, it just duplicates the number stamped in to the shell under the driver's seat. It's not compulsory to have it on display.
Jed D

23rd Sep 11 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think your VIN (vehicle identity number) will be needed for MOT though. even if its not on display
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Sep 11 at 15:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's available under the seat under the lift-up panel.
makincorsac

23rd Sep 11 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Introduced around 97 I think, it just duplicates the number stamped in to the shell under the driver's seat. It's not compulsory to have it on display.

mines a 97 and has it on
sand-eel

23rd Sep 11 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't even need a vin plate to pass MOT, just give them the V5 to get the numbers.
Haimsey
Premium Member

23rd Sep 11 at 16:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool, thanks guys

Marcy Marc

john_c20xe

23rd Sep 11 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
You don't even need a vin plate to pass MOT, just give them the V5 to get the numbers.

i think you will find you are wrong!
there has to be at least one visible vin number permanantely fixed to the vehicle
before carrying out the mot test you do a walk round of the vehicle to make sure there is no obvious reason to refuse the car of a test (to dirt, exhaust noisey ect) check the vin and redge number matches the v40

[Edited on 23-09-2011 by john_c20xe]
DannyB
Premium Member

23rd Sep 11 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, they use the last 6 digits of it on the MOT sheet before the car is even looked at.
Generation

23rd Sep 11 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Changed dash and lost mine
Liam-Wilko

23rd Sep 11 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is a series of ways for an mot centre to get the vin number for example puting the reg on the mot computer brings up all the details so make model vin ext ext some corsas come with them on the dash some done it jsut makes it easyer for a mot centre to check it that's all I use to work in a mot centre and also the plate under the bonnet contains ya vin and that plate is a llegal requierment
AlexW

23rd Sep 11 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine only has vin number in the floor. Passed no issues.

Smooth slam panel and a changed dash with the holes smoothed.

It only really matters if they are removed when selling if you dont tell the new buyer or if you are doing it pass on a stolen (or whatever else) car

[Edited on 23-09-2011 by AW06]
Tomnova16
Premium Member

23rd Sep 11 at 21:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's only so it can be easily read. Rather than checking footwell /slam panel etc

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Haimsey
Premium Member

23rd Sep 11 at 22:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So there wouldn't be an issue if I just screwed the bloody thing to the inside of the glovebox door?

Marcy Marc

sand-eel

23rd Sep 11 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john_c20xe
quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel

i think you will find you are wrong!
there has to be at least one visible vin number permanantely fixed to the vehicle
before carrying out the mot test you do a walk round of the vehicle to make sure there is no obvious reason to refuse the car of a test (to dirt, exhaust noisey ect) check the vin and redge number matches the v40

[Edited on 23-09-2011 by john_c20xe]

Strange because I had an old nova with new front end and I never bothered my arse putting the vin back on and it passed MOT.
john_c20xe

24th Sep 11 at 06:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

most mot testers dont even bother checking the car before they do the mot, i admit i dont when i get the job card it has the vin a redge on it so i just use them but if its an older car like a corsa or nova ect i will check to see if all the vins match up ect, the one on the slam panel shouldnt matter as long as theres one under the drivers seat and as long as they matched each other

the mot testing manual states
Reason for rejection

a. A Vehicle Identification Number not
permanently displayed, incomplete or not
legible
Note: Only one VIN is required to be complete
and legible.
b. more than one different Vehicle
Identification Number displayed

so the one on the slam panel and windscreen doesn't matter if they are there or not.

if if your car is registered before 1980 you dont need one

[Edited on 24-09-2011 by john_c20xe]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » This barcode thingy on the dash board near tax disc 24 database queries in 0.0145350 seconds