corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Going to the US west coast

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Going to the US west coast
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
29th Sep 11 at 19:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Next thursday, the 6th, we'll be going to the US for three weeks.

First week is in Vegas, where we will get married, then we take 10 days in a Cadillac driving down to San Diego and taking the coast up to San Francisco where we'll stay for a few days before flying home.

Obviously we got a lot of stuff planned (Cars And Coffee) but I know a few people from here has gone before, so I'd like to hear what you have found great, fun and entertaining while driving on the west coast. Specifically any not-so-obvious experiences that we might not read about in the tourist guides.

Can't bloody wait!

Jake

29th Sep 11 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are you english mate?
Balling
Premium Member

29th Sep 11 at 19:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jake
are you english mate?

No, are you?

Tomnova16
Premium Member

29th Sep 11 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got married in Vegas last month at bellagio.
A visit to the Hoover damn and lake mead is a must when you get the car.
I drove to LA from Vegas two years ago but didn't find anywhere amazing although I pretty much spent most of the time at universal studios or Santa Monica beach.

Vegas though. Amazing place you will love it. Just do as much as you can and worry about sleep afterwards.

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Balling
Premium Member

29th Sep 11 at 20:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I remember the thread Tom.
Looked like a fantastic trip.
Planned a trip to the shooting range after seeing your pics.

We will be going to Hoover Dam as the first stop on our way south.

We have the first two nights in a mini suite at NewYork NewYork, then three nights at Claremont (at 27$ a night ) and last couple of nights in a suite at Mirage, where we'll have the wedding.

I wanted to stay in a different hotel each night, but my future misses wouldn't have that.

[Edited on 29-09-2011 by Balling]

Tomnova16
Premium Member

29th Sep 11 at 20:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's quite a good idea to stay at different hotels get a better feel for the place. I like new york new York. The roller coaster is good but really rattles you about

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Siberia

29th Sep 11 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

six flags magic mountain in valencia california was quite good. rollercoaster heaven.

went to west coast customs ttoo.. me and the misus got a tour of the building with 'big dane' and met all the guys from custom my ride.

then the obvious golden gate bridge(hope for a clear day), alcatraz..
Ian
Site Administrator

30th Sep 11 at 00:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's pretty much what I just did, Vegas, San Diego, LA, San Fran.

If I were doing it again I would plan more stops along the Pacific Coast Highway and Route 1, we did a few but it's too much in one day and you won't see the latter parts because it's dark. It does get a bit remote towards the top end but you could probably plan a night there so you're not doing windy roads with limited light.

Add me on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/iangriff and you'll see a lot of the photos. Need to meet my mate and get the rest, I plan to get them in a thread on here at some point.
Alex_Rally

30th Sep 11 at 05:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is a dream of mine , i will do one day
Balling
Premium Member

30th Sep 11 at 07:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tom, the misses is a huge roller coaster fan, so we hope the one at NYNY measures up to the one on Coney Island in NYC.

West Coast Customs was actually a good idea. Will look into that.

Ian, we're struggling a bit to decide where we want to spend our time.
San Diego is meant to be awesome and I want to see both the Zoo and Sea World.
I'd also love to have enough time at the northern end to stay somewhere in Nappa Valley, but unfortunately I think that will have to wait.

Generally we want to plan as little as possible to keep all our options open.

Ian, what route did you take from Vegas to San Diego?
We're planning to go Vegas - Kingman - Needles - ?
Options seem to be to either follow the river until Yuma and then heading west or take some of the smaller roads nearer to Salton Sea.

I'm not on facebook, but will look out for a thread from you.

N16K

30th Sep 11 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

West Coast Customs in Corona is a good call, very friendly. Also visit the Shelby factory at the Vegas Speedway and Counts Customs in Vegas. If you watch Pawn Stars on TV visit Gold and Silver pawn on the Strip.
The Salton Sea (not to far from Palm Springs) is a really cool place, but I doubt your other half will enjoy it.

Also good roller coaster at Buffalo Bills in Primm on the i15 at the NV CA border.

[Edited on 30-09-2011 by N16K]
Robbo

30th Sep 11 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wicked dude - congrats on the upcomign wedding
Ian
Site Administrator

30th Sep 11 at 09:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is my route -

click

Also recommend Laguna Beach, nice town, nice beach, lovely place.

Venice beach was full of tramps and Huntington beach is next to a power station.

[Edited on 30-09-2011 by Ian]
Balling
Premium Member

30th Sep 11 at 15:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
This is my route -

click

Taking the I-15 to San Diego makes good sense, it just seems the drive through the Mojave is dreadful.

Taking the 95 and 78 down to Brawley at Salton Sea looks like a more scenic route. It also adds 2.5 hours of extra driving time, that I don't care for though.

How did you find the two hours of desert?
And how many days did you spend on the trip?

Balling
Premium Member

30th Sep 11 at 15:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Wicked dude - congrats on the upcomign wedding

Thanks!

Balling
Premium Member

30th Sep 11 at 15:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by N16K
West Coast Customs in Corona is a good call, very friendly. Also visit the Shelby factory at the Vegas Speedway and Counts Customs in Vegas. If you watch Pawn Stars on TV visit Gold and Silver pawn on the Strip.
The Salton Sea (not to far from Palm Springs) is a really cool place, but I doubt your other half will enjoy it.

Also good roller coaster at Buffalo Bills in Primm on the i15 at the NV CA border.

I might get away with Cars And Coffee as well as WCC, but adding time for more car related stuff might prove difficult, given the company I will be keeping.

Will definitely check out Buffalo Bills if we end up taking the I-15. Can always do with a good roller coaster ride.

Siberia

1st Oct 11 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ian: did you stay in morro bay? me and the misus stayed there for 1 night.. it got dark really quickly and there was this light fog in the town.. it was like a horror movie in the day it reminded me of the town that was in the film JAWS

it was nice to stay off the interstate for a while but i was stoping every 2 minutes to take pictures

if you staying in LA dont forget Randys donuts.. they were lovely... just be carefull of the neighbourhood

[Edited on 01-10-2011 by Siberia]
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Oct 11 at 13:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No Morro Bay was just a stop for food.

Which incidently was absolutely fantastic, I'll dig out the name of the place, some of the best fish I've ever eaten.
N16K

2nd Oct 11 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:

I might get away with Cars And Coffee as well as WCC, but adding time for more car related stuff might prove difficult, given the company I will be keeping.

Will definitely check out Buffalo Bills if we end up taking the I-15. Can always do with a good roller coaster ride.

the rides and coaster seem to be closed Monday - Thursday check here for more info http://www.primmvalleyresorts.com/family.php
Balling
Premium Member

4th Oct 11 at 07:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
the rides and coaster seem to be closed Monday - Thursday check here for more info http://www.primmvalleyresorts.com/family.php

We have laid down a basic plan for our route and we will hit Primm next Friday.

Leaving the day after tomorrow. I have so much work that needs to be done, but I don't seem to get anything done this week.
Can't wait!

Balling
Premium Member

28th Oct 11 at 18:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fantastic trip!

Just got back and now have to deal with the jetlag.

The coast line of California is just an impressing piece of landscape.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Going to the US west coast 24 database queries in 0.0158710 seconds