corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Getting old

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Getting old
taylorboosh

User status: Offline
2nd Oct 11 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went from apprentice panel beater to office junior to powder coater to sales advisor then at 21 decided dead end jobs are not for me and got a bt apprenricship. Knocked the ferrari back a few years but mehhh
Liam

2nd Oct 11 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
i went from being a supervisor in a supermarket to a production worker in a factory building engines.

quite a big change to say the least, but the hardest part for me was starting again and meeting new people.

Did you have to have any sort of experience before you started at ford? it's just Jaguar are opening a factory down the road and I wouldn't mind applying but not sure what "skills" i'd possibly need
Norcy91

2nd Oct 11 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I stayed on at 6th form, only came out with 1 A Level in Economics, I didn't really know what I wanted to do! So 2 years wasted... Then I went to college and did a full time course as a mechanic, got my level 2 qualification and left. While I was doing all this I was wasting my time working part time at Morrisons!

Then an opportunity came up that I couldn't refuse. Got an apprenticeship as a mechanical engineer, started college this year, the pays great for an apprenticeship, seems a pretty secure job, and there's great people where I work as well!
Cardiac Kid

21st Jan 12 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry for the bump, but it popped up in the related threads list so...

I didn't do that well considering I wanted to study medicine after leaving school. 4 A's (Sciences, English, French and Geography) 3 B's (GCSE P.E., Maths and I.T), the other subjects were rather poor.

I had two years then to make my application appear 'attractive' to any medical school that would consider me, so I had two options:

1) Get a job for a year, then do an 'Access to HE Diploma: Science' course with L3 Maths included (as I got a B).

2) Stay on at sixth form, get my A Levels done and not earn much money, due to having to get some voluntary work in around studies.

I chose option 1) and started to dabble with the idea of scrapping medical school and working a science/research setting with possibly looking at studying something like biomedical science or biochemistry.

My parents are both in the health sector (Doctor/Surgeon and Nurse Practitioner) and some of my siblings also were at uni at the time for health related careers, so I ended up being influenced into pursuing a career in medicine and although it was a struggle at first, after the pre-clinical studies, I found it enjoyable and less stressful. I certainly felt older at 18-21 than I do now at nearly 29.

[Edited on 21-01-2012 by Cardiac Kid]

[Edited on 21-01-2012 by Cardiac Kid]
Ben G

21st Jan 12 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Liam
quote:
i went from being a supervisor in a supermarket to a production worker in a factory building engines.

quite a big change to say the least, but the hardest part for me was starting again and meeting new people.

Did you have to have any sort of experience before you started at ford? it's just Jaguar are opening a factory down the road and I wouldn't mind applying but not sure what "skills" i'd possibly need

no experience in the motor industry, just the usual gcse's/a-levels.

also skills you'd need are good hand eye co-ordination, dexterity (i think it's called that), being able to work in groups as well as independently, leadership qualities, good problem solving skills and common sense.

obviously depends what jobs you go for, but that's what they were looking for when i applied for my role.

[Edited on 21-01-2012 by Ben G]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

21st Jan 12 at 17:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought you just fit flywheels to engines?
Ben G

21st Jan 12 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

5 years ago i did.

times change, people went during the recession and so i had to learn more.
Liam

21st Jan 12 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
quote:

no experience in the motor industry, just the usual gcse's/a-levels.

also skills you'd need are good hand eye co-ordination, dexterity (i think it's called that), being able to work in groups as well as independently, leadership qualities, good problem solving skills and common sense.

obviously depends what jobs you go for, but that's what they were looking for when i applied for my role.

[Edited on 21-01-2012 by Ben G]

That's good then, was worried you'd need to be a trained mechanic or something

Cheers
johnhara1

21st Jan 12 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm 25, had a safe, decent job in a University.

left job, lived in OZ for a year, split with the mrs so i'm not back home without a job.

I don't regret it one bit, it was an amazing experiance. I have some savings so think i'll take a 6 month trip to America this year.
Carl

22nd Jan 12 at 01:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

28 on Tuesday, have a degree in health and worked in health for the last 4 years, only on 15.5k though which is pretty poor considering, then again i don't mind my job so its swings and roundabouts! Just a shame there isn't more opportunities at the minute.
harrisp

22nd Jan 12 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im 21 and even though Im old I feel like i could have done a lot better with my life so far, did a few dead end jobs, went to college did two years plumbing, started an apprenticeship got treated like shit and fucked about constantly then got laid off before I qualified, now doing ventilation/ducting, earning ok money (mainly due to the hours I do) but can only go a little bit further within this company.
Want to be a firemen really.
sc0ott

22nd Jan 12 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
I'm having a day of it today - I had a bollocking earlier for "doing too much work" and "being quicker when I do 2D drawings than 3D"; We don't even have a 2D CAD package - I'm still a little bit perplexed as to the sheer stupidity of the people I am employed by

Been here 5 years and I'm a week off 28

[Edited on 30-09-2011 by LiVe LeE]

What do you do?
BYRON

22nd Jan 12 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am recently 28 and been with my current and only employer 9 years.
Left college with a BTEC national Diploma in public services at 19 (wanted to be a fireman) and started with a car fleet management company.

I am very well looked after and have done 4 different job roles in the 9 years and currently looking to fast track to senior management/director.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Getting old 23 database queries in 0.1721580 seconds