corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Renting a property out (tax question)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Renting a property out (tax question)
Aaron

User status: Offline
1st Oct 11 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yo bitches

I want to rent out my two bedroom flat ASAP. Let's say the rent price is £450 PCM....how much tax should I expect to pay on that? I've done some reading on tinternet about this, but tax rules boggle my mind. any help?
Gary
Premium Member

1st Oct 11 at 17:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely would just be taxed an income, so normal tax rate I would have thought.
James

1st Oct 11 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Surely would just be taxed an income, so normal tax rate I would have thought.

This. But if it takes your annual income over the 40% threshold you will get taxed at 40%
Aaron

1st Oct 11 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah I see, would I be expected to pay the tax monthly or annually? I'll still be 20% tax, which is nice.
Toby
Premium Member

1st Oct 11 at 20:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It depends on a lot of things but basically you can offset certain payments out agasi t the money earnt for example if you earnt £6k from rent but actually paid 7k in interest on the mortgage then ypou would actually be entittled to a tax rebate.

You can also declare any work you have had done, maintainence, painting, your accounting fees for your tax return and your letting agent fees etc
Toby
Premium Member

1st Oct 11 at 20:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron
Ah I see, would I be expected to pay the tax monthly or annually? I'll still be 20% tax, which is nice.

Anually in January time when you have sent in tax return
Gary
Premium Member

1st Oct 11 at 22:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't you be registered self employed as well?
Rob_Quads

2nd Oct 11 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
It depends on a lot of things but basically you can offset certain payments out agasi t the money earnt for example if you earnt £6k from rent but actually paid 7k in interest on the mortgage then ypou would actually be entittled to a tax rebate.

You can also declare any work you have had done, maintainence, painting, your accounting fees for your tax return and your letting agent fees etc

Are you talking about renting out a room or a house. For renting out a room its not the same as a house. You have to be very careful about what to claim.
Toby
Premium Member

2nd Oct 11 at 10:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no renting a house as per the OP
Toby
Premium Member

2nd Oct 11 at 10:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Wouldn't you be registered self employed as well?

not quite but there is a form to fill in to make the IR aware that you are earning another income
Rob_Quads

2nd Oct 11 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
no renting a house as per the OP

Ah sorry - read it as rent out some bedrooms. Yup - As Toby says - you can deduct any costs against it i.e. if you need to paint your house..sorry the rental house you can put the cost of that against any profit you have made and thus would pay tax against.
Aaron

2nd Oct 11 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great, thanks for all the info. Looks like i'll get the ball moving soon
spencer88

3rd Oct 11 at 06:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you renting it out yourself or letting an agent do it for you?

Because amongst other things you will need a good tenancy agreement and the deposit placed in a Tenancy Deposit Scheme.
Fad

6th Oct 11 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/TaxOnPropertyAndRentalIncome/DG_10013435

Read this as it seems everyone is clutching at straws here.

When I was in accounts we would do individual returns for landlords as it's taxable under a different schedule. This way you can deduct allowable expenses such as mortgage interest, furniture allowances, letting fees etc making the tax burden less.

I do know a couple of people who do nothing but collect rent and don't declare anything but IMO it's not worth the risk. Also setting up your own tenancy agreement is a piece of piss and all you need is to hold a deposit in specific account and just carry out your landlord duties doing inspections from time to tim.

[Edited on 06-10-2011 by Fad]

New Poll