corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Static IP rDNS/PTR for mail server

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Static IP rDNS/PTR for mail server
Dom

User status: Offline
5th Oct 11 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm needing to get a PTR record set for a static IP where a mail server (SBS2008) sits on; am i right in assuming this PTR/rDNS should be the same as the MX record? Example - MX record is mail.domain.com, IP is 1.1.1.1 / IP rDNS is 1.1.1.1.location.code.isp.com, IPs PTR should be mail.domain.com (giving a rDNS of mail.domain.com).
Or am i completely missing it and barking up the wrong tree?

Also what happens when mail is pumped through an online spam/virus filter service (like Trendmicro) when the domains MX record actually points to trendmicro (eg - mx.1.trendmicro.com) and intern they fire mail over to mail.domain.com?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 12:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you have a online service on the service they will have an static IP of your ISP that it forwards the mail onto i would use an IP instead of DNS on the forwarder online
Dom

5th Oct 11 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
When you have a online service on the service they will have an static IP of your ISP that it forwards the mail onto i would use an IP instead of DNS on the forwarder online

What's the reason to use the static IP instead of the A record? Surely this won't have any affect on outgoing mail from the SBS box if Trendmicro only handles incoming?

Reason for needing to update this PTR record is because there are a number of ISPs/mail servers that check the reverse DNS on mail and block if there is a mismatch, which is what is happening when sending mail to AOL.
Having another look it appears mail is being sent from remote.domain.com (standard SBS2008 domain prefix), so would i be right the PTR needs to reflect this so a rDNS on the static IP would show remote.domain.com?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 14:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Set it in exchange also as it may not being doing a rdns is may just be header checking.

I just prefer to use IP over A record when using filtering solutions guess its personal preference really as some of the chumps that deal with dns can fuck it from time to time.

New Poll