corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » anyone good at maths

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author anyone good at maths
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st Jan 12 at 20:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did consider that it wasn't a monty hall paradox but discounted based on the fact that you find out what's in the box that you choose to open in the same way as you would in a monty hall example, it's just extended to 22 boxes instead of 3. After the penultimate round, there is more probability of the big prize being in the box in play rather than the box you have.

As for looking at the averaging figures, the reality if you get on the show is that you won't have the big winning box so you have a number of choices; for me it would be a toss up between playing right to the last round and then switching if offered or playing until I was above the £26k average but that's just me. The probabilities are such a long shot that it's not really predictable as its not as though you can count runs like you could with cards

[Edited on 21-01-2012 by LiVe LeE]
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
21st Jan 12 at 20:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think the Monty Hall stuff only works because you're down to 50% fairly early which with 22 rounds in that you wouldn't be.

I'm not 100% on the game rules otherwise I would give it a go. From my understanding, not picking 2 of your remaining boxes 22 times should be a simple sequence

20/22 x 19/21 x 18/20 etc.

Even though they're close to 1, the fact you're compounding them still gives you wide odds.

[Edited on 21-01-2012 by Ian]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » anyone good at maths 23 database queries in 0.0083041 seconds