corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » My Garden Project

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My Garden Project
corb

User status: Offline
21st Jan 12 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My garden was on two different levels. Only being fairly small made it un-usable for kicking a ball about etc so the Mrs proposed levelling it out. It snowballed from there......

The day I moved in, October 2006..... Tree's everywhere

The day I started the bigger task in October 2010, tree at end of garden already gone and replaced by shed and tree nearest conservatory already cut down to the root.

Started taking the turf off and clearing some soil:

Starting to make a mess

Height difference between the two levels

Long way down = lots of soil to move! Some trees still standing...

Tree graveyard

Practiced some trench digging skills, GRENADE! OJC would've loved it!

Unhappy cats...*whats happened to our garden, what are we meant to climb up now and get stuck?!

More soil gone

Even more soil gone!...

On the bottom left of this pic you can see about a quarter of the rocks I also had to get rid of!

Looking toward the house, lots more soil taken away after this from the border and bottom where Im standing

Nights drawing in and one of five tree stumps which i pulled out(by hand!) Last day in November I did any work before stopping for the winter / snow...

Back after a winter break, April. Sun shining. Even got the lad to help. Retaining borders put in....

Pile of soil, about a fifth of the total amount. The rest was wheelbarrowed up the side of the house into the front garden/drive and collected by a grab lorry. Also type started going down and slabs delivered. One bulk bag of hardcore, same of sand, some cement and all slabs, again moved by hand up the side of the house!

Moving the shed was interesting with two of us!

Started laying slabs

What a mess ....

Cut around edges

Paving, done

The reason I paved, originally was gonna turf the lot

Slow progress

Self-mixed Topsoil down

Few bits still to do... Bit of lighting. Want a water feature of some sort. I have put some plants / flowers in the bedding up the side and want a very specific type or Acer tree in the bottom corner.

In all I moved about 300 wheelbarrow loads of soil down the side of the house, did everything by hand except the whacker for the type 1 for the paving and had some help from Dad.
andys sxi
Premium Member

21st Jan 12 at 15:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it looks so much better than what it did

April 08 feature car
Ben G

21st Jan 12 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it does look very nice, although i'd have kept the tree's up personally, would've just cut them back a bit as it shielded your garden from the houses on the right on the pictures.
corb

21st Jan 12 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking at it now, that would have worked but the plan changed as I went along. The roots were also a complete bastard and pulling up / chopping most of them may well have fucked the trees up in the long term. I was sure initially what I was doing up the side and wanted to start over with a blank canvas.
Alex_Rally

22nd Jan 12 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks really nice mate
Haimsey
Premium Member

22nd Jan 12 at 15:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks 100 x better! Good effort.

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
Edd

22nd Jan 12 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks neater but i prefer the privacy more. Also bet the neighbours love a basketball court next to them.

New Poll