corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Dude makes an F1 car out of cardboard then gets job with Red Bull F1 team

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Dude makes an F1 car out of cardboard then gets job with Red Bull F1 team
Tom

User status: Offline
24th Jan 12 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie-C
Needs to get a life.

Pretty sure he'll have a decent life if he gets a proper job offer after his placement
ed

24th Jan 12 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah, he should be out there being a lad. Getting pissed Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Then complaining all week how shit his job is and how his boss is a wanker.
ed

24th Jan 12 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
Good model but what kind of skills are transferable to f1? It's not like he's used and techniques or equipment they do with the real thing. If he deserves a job for building a model Steve should be working at BAE.

I don't mean to be completely negative, it's a VERY impressive project

Good model makers are hard to find - it's a skill that's definitely relevant for any engineering firm, especially one which relies so heavily on scale prototyping of concepts. If he can do that with some cardboard and a craft knife, I wonder what potential he has given even more fancy tools?
3CorsaMeal

24th Jan 12 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I still can't fathom how ed didn't get a job with BMW M division off the back of his carbon fibre roof thread
ed

24th Jan 12 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3CorsaMeal

24th Jan 12 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ed, there is a guy on a forum i use who is currently buying the proper carbon mat stuff, all weaved etc, not 3M.

and he is sticking it onto plastic trim, like carbon wrapping but with real carbon.

is that heard of or unheard of?
CorsAsh

24th Jan 12 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not unheard of. Still pointless.
ed

24th Jan 12 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isn't that what people from the internet call carbon wrapping? I.E. taking a lightweight material, laying it onto a lightweight plastic trim (thus adding weight) in order to make it look like a lightweight trim made of a different material?

Also: Should really do that feckin' roof again, I feel I've got a point to prove now

[Edited on 24-01-2012 by ed]
RichR
Premium Member

24th Jan 12 at 11:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can admire the work and time but I don't think the executuion is that good IMO. The CF effect is overscale, would have been straightforward to reprint it to a more suitable scale; the edges of the coloured sections isn't amazing i.e. the inside of the air intake and the nose cone.

Kudos for the patience and knife skills but it could have been better if the finishing touches had a little more care and attention
RichR
Premium Member

24th Jan 12 at 11:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
Ed, there is a guy on a forum i use who is currently buying the proper carbon mat stuff, all weaved etc, not 3M.

and he is sticking it onto plastic trim, like carbon wrapping but with real carbon.

is that heard of or unheard of?

not unheard of, CarbonMods do a DIY kit to allow you to do exactly this. Its not something they're interested in doing themselves but have so many enquiries about it that it makes sense to sell the kit.

Whilst I wouldn't do it myself, I wouldn't say it was pointless - the guys doing this are looking for aesthetics and that's their point. Its only like putting an aluminium dash kit on or similar on.
Dave

24th Jan 12 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i made a card house once from a deck of playing cards.

still waiting for the call from Wimpy homes

[Edited on 23-01-2012 by 3CorsaMeal]

Wimpy do burgers mate, and going off the last time I had one they already use cardboard.
p

24th Jan 12 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
Good model but what kind of skills are transferable to f1? It's not like he's used and techniques or equipment they do with the real thing. If he deserves a job for building a model Steve should be working at BAE.

I don't mean to be completely negative, it's a VERY impressive project

Kinda what I was thinking...
JonnyJ

24th Jan 12 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Someone should inform Red Bull that there are better talent spotters on CS than what they currently employ. Who'd have thought it eh?
antnee

24th Jan 12 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH, I think there is a bit of jealousy in this topic, a placement will earn the guy around 15-18k for 12months. If he is any good, they will take him on when he has finished at uni, and have a starting salary of around 35k
3CorsaMeal

24th Jan 12 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*gets out some paper and corrado photos*
John

24th Jan 12 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corrado one would only ever be half built.
3CorsaMeal

24th Jan 12 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i call it M45 now.

M45 is in the garage undergoing minor restoration work and full drivetrain overhaul
corsasportsam

24th Jan 12 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

holy papercuts.... thats amazing
LeeM

24th Jan 12 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He mentions he's got a thermodynamics exam coming up so he's probably studying engineering or similar. Placement offer makes more sense
gavin18787
Premium Member

24th Jan 12 at 17:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats pritty epic

Congrats on the lad for the work experiance offer too

Job is blantently "seen mclaren with this new part in this picture, make me one"

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
RS6

24th Jan 12 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i made a card house once from a deck of playing cards.

still waiting for the call from Wimpy homes

[Edited on 23-01-2012 by 3CorsaMeal]

LMAO

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Dude makes an F1 car out of cardboard then gets job with Red Bull F1 team 24 database queries in 0.2865131 seconds