corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Best way to change small block engine in a B?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Best way to change small block engine in a B?
Bobber123

User status: Offline
26th Jan 12 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm thinking about swapping my engine for an identical one 1.4 8v with an f13 gearbox. Wich way would be best to swap the lot over? Drop the engine and lift the car over it, or use a engine crane and lift it out, engine and box complete?
reecegsi

27th Jan 12 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I lift out the top but have seen people drop out the bottom and i would take engine and box out so much easier manifold off loom over the wing

[Edited on 27-01-2012 by reecegsi]
Generation

27th Jan 12 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always lift car over. Less damage to paint aswell
c16-jake

27th Jan 12 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
I always lift car over. Less damage to paint aswell
Edges 58

27th Jan 12 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

drop engine onto trolley jack, with car really quite high, take nearside track rod, arch liner off and slide out. worked a treat for me!
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
27th Jan 12 at 21:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can get the car higher you're less likely to damage the slam. I always find it comes out a bit cleaner as well rather than having to spin it round and tilt it if its still go the box on.

[Edited on 27-01-2012 by Ian]
johnhara1

27th Jan 12 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Small engine like this,loom off, exhaust manifold off then straight out the top.

Dust sheets over the wings so you can pull the loom over that way and not scratch it.

I put a chain onto the block and box then hook the hoist on towards the timing side so the engine sits like \ and it tends to come straight out.

Done a few corsas and puntos etc like this on my own and not damaged anything.

Took an xe out of a scrap corsa recently, out the top but cut slam panel etc off first so they're always better going in or out from the bottom.

Bobber123

27th Jan 12 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right ok, well ill just have a think and see wich is better as the hoist ill be able to use is one thats fixed to a beam on the roof of a unit not specifically an engine hoist but can lift a tonne so i could drop it out the bottom and lift the full front of the car over the top of it... i have to take the drive shafts out and stuff anyway so i guess its going to take the same time wich ever way i do it, thanks for the info though, ill just make sure the loom is the 1st thing off. i have new manifolds to go on anyway so they can come off before i take the engine out

New Poll