corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Microphones

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Microphones
ed

User status: Offline
1st Mar 12 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need to make a little product demonstration video and will be filming it on and SLR. I always think that it sounds a little 'echoy' if you use the built in mic in a room recording voice, so I was considering hiring a mic for a day to do it.

What sort would be best for this sort of thing? It's going to be a person talking running through the products features so I was thinking a little one with a tie clip. It doesn't really need to have a radio transmitter on it because I could plug it straight into my computer and record the audio in Garage Band or something right?
ed

1st Mar 12 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fail. My laptop doesn't have a mic input on it

Sure I can sort something else out to record to...
Whittie

1st Mar 12 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002VA464S/ref=asc_df_B002VA464S6781248?smid=ARWFG41TXG1LU&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22242&creativeASIN=B002VA464S

Was on offer about 8 months ago for £40. They're about £120 most places.
Dom

1st Mar 12 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a decent lapel mic or shotgun mic with a decent sock. Most SLR's will have a mic input, either XLR/Mini-XLR or a 3.5 input. If not then use a decent portable recorder (LS100, Zoom etc) and 'clapperboard' it.

Edit - If you use a lapel mic, just note the position as audio can easily be compromised (crossing arms, rubbing face etc).
Also it might be worth U2U'ing jacko as he works in TV production.

Edit 2 - Don't use the Yeti Whittie posted, it isn't suited for what you're after. Even then, i'm not sure it's suited for what it's aimed at, podcasting, considering it doesn't have a shock-mount (being a condenser i can see it picking up ever vibration/tap/mouse movement through the stand).

[Edited on 01-03-2012 by Dom]
Whittie

1st Mar 12 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just used the yeti for some presentations. Seemed decent enough for what I needed it for.

Wish I asked about it 12 months ago
Dom

1st Mar 12 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How where you using the Yeti, holding it or did you place it on a surface? Condensers tend to be extremely sensitive to vibrations so i'm surprised you managed to get decent records out of it without a shock-mount.

A decent shotgun like a K6 (or one of the Rode's) with a handle or boom would personally be my choice but it does mean someone has to hold it. A shotgun on a hotshoe mount (Rode/Canon) might work as well.
ed

1st Mar 12 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm wondering now whether to use just closeups of the product and graphics with just a voiceover track. I could probably get away with the built in microphone for that if I was in the right sort of room. Conveniently we have a jet engine testing room (!) at uni which is like a recording studio - no echos...
Whittie

1st Mar 12 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just on a desk, had a rubber / velvet base. Didn't cross my mind about stuff like that.

It did the job
Whittie

1st Mar 12 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jet engine testing room, fuck me
ed

1st Mar 12 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a strange place. It's massive, but you could drop a penny and there's no echo...
Dom

1st Mar 12 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Conveniently we have a jet engine testing room (!) at uni which is like a recording studio - no echos...

Anechoic chamber? Very weird places to be in....

VO track is probably the easiest although you'll get better sound from a portable recorder than the cameras built-in mic; worth asking in your music/audio/arts department as they usually have one lying around.
adiohead

1st Mar 12 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a bog standard Shure SM58 would do it.

New Poll