corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » New track day wheels and slicks

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New track day wheels and slicks
Stu

User status: Offline
18th Mar 12 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hope my next track day is dry! Just bought a set of these Speedlines off ebay (not sure on the model) and managed to get a set of Michelin S9B medium/hard slicks. Came off a Ginetta that had just done one race so have plenty of life left in them!

Anyone got much experience of race slicks? Used R888's a few times but these are supposed to be pretty different!?
Nic Barnes

18th Mar 12 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used p zero cut slicks round oulton park when i did a day there. couple of laps in and the grip was impressive. you have to get the heat into them mind on, as when you first go drive it will be horrific so take it steady.
Stu

18th Mar 12 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are they that bad when cold? Yeah the guy reckons a good couple of slow laps are needed.

Bit worried I might need to baffle the sump now tho! Haha
Nic Barnes

18th Mar 12 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well yours are medium/hard so you will need to get a good bit of warmth into them. mine were mediums with softs on the rear and id say maybe 4th lap in for proper grip.

can you buy off the shelf baffled sumps for 106's stu? worth doing really. hard cornering don't want starvation issues etc
smcGSI16V

18th Mar 12 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be careful. Quite a few track day companies don't like people running full slicks and can kick you off of they see them.
Make sure you check the small print when booking.
Stu

18th Mar 12 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
well yours are medium/hard so you will need to get a good bit of warmth into them. mine were mediums with softs on the rear and id say maybe 4th lap in for proper grip.

can you buy off the shelf baffled sumps for 106's stu? worth doing really. hard cornering don't want starvation issues etc

Ah cool Ill bear that in mind! Reckon they will take a fair bit of getting used to!

Yeah, there doesnt appear to be many but this is the one most use with no issues
http://www.constella.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=146&vmcchk=1&Itemid=146

Stu

18th Mar 12 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by smcGSI16V
Be careful. Quite a few track day companies don't like people running full slicks and can kick you off of they see them.
Make sure you check the small print when booking.

Cheers for the info, Ill def keep my eyes open for that! Have got another set of wheels/tyres with T1-R's on so will make sure I always take them even if there isn't a hint of rain

Nic Barnes

18th Mar 12 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

see if you could get a load of pics of it, get a spare sump. I'm sure it could be made for a lot cheaper tbh. i got a mate to make mine, copied from pics off the net. cost me about £20 or so. although its not as elaborate as that.

my mate used my p zero's on his civic vti for drag racing day up here. the grip once burn out done was enough that if he didn't launch from the limiter in first, car bogged down. that was with the tyres pretty much knackered as well.
Stu

18th Mar 12 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I think the baffle has got some kind of moving gate in it which is the bit that worries me if I were to make it myself!
gazza808

18th Mar 12 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You may find they are crap on your set up pending what type of slicks they are, the difference between cross ply and radial, one needs a lot of camber to work properly the other doesn't can't remember which is which, do abit of research, and deffo baffle your sump! Especially on a 106.
Graham88

19th Mar 12 at 05:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think every trackday I've done has stated no slicks allowed unless running a cage so you'll be ok Stu. Especially as a mates dad runs his CSL on slicks without a cage & has never been told he can't use them
Stu

19th Mar 12 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gazza808
You may find they are crap on your set up pending what type of slicks they are, the difference between cross ply and radial, one needs a lot of camber to work properly the other doesn't can't remember which is which, do abit of research, and deffo baffle your sump! Especially on a 106.

Cool, thanks again for the info!
Stu

19th Mar 12 at 08:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
I think every trackday I've done has stated no slicks allowed unless running a cage so you'll be ok Stu. Especially as a mates dad runs his CSL on slicks without a cage & has never been told he can't use them

Ah thats good news then! Like I say, every track day Ive done in the past, the car has never been checked apart from noise of course! Suppose slicks are quite easy to spot tho!
antnee

19th Mar 12 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you know how many heat cycles they have been through? Slicks go off depending on the amount of heat cycles instead of the tread depth
Tom G

19th Mar 12 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been used once Antnee, can't presume they will get mega hot enough to matter when being warmed prior to racing
antnee

19th Mar 12 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should be ok then! The heat cycle is them being used, so being used for a 3lap qualy session and a 15min race would be 2 cycles

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » New track day wheels and slicks 23 database queries in 0.0115631 seconds