corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » wireless gurus help please.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author wireless gurus help please.
chris_uk
Premium Member

User status: Offline
1st Apr 12 at 17:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi boys,

i got virgin the other week and it works fine but there is a funny issue with the wireless in which i can connect to the wireless but i cant use it, it just doesnt work.

If i turn the wireless off on the laptop or phone and reconnect it usually works for about 5-10 mins then goes off again.

ive looked into it and it suggests i try change the wireless channel manually and also the speed from 300mb/s to 145mb/s but if i do either it disconnects the wireless and you cant find it, ive reset the hub and laptop but nothing, it only works when i plug the laptop into the network and revert the changes back to 300mb/s and auto channel.

any ideas why it would do this?
John

1st Apr 12 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My brother had the same thing with virgin, cisco modem and dlink router.

Never actually got to the bottom of it, couldn't narrow it down to router or modem.

Had both replaced and it done the same thing.
chris_uk
Premium Member

1st Apr 12 at 18:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think my only real option would be to either replace the hub with the BT infinity hub.

as far as im told its a straight swap pop the details in and jobs done.
PhilC

2nd Apr 12 at 06:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got anything near the router that runs on 2.4GHz? DECT phones? Baby Monitors? Microwave?
Gary
Premium Member

2nd Apr 12 at 08:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Download a wifi scanner for your phone and see what other freq are being used around you
Dom

2nd Apr 12 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guessing this is ADSL rather than cable? What ADSL router did they supply?

As mentioned, get it on a channel that isn't being used. But also make sure it's running the latest firmware, however from what i know VM lock down 'their' routers so you can't use manufacture firmware, and i'd temporarily switch off the security and see if you're able to connect then as it could be hardware or firmware WEP/WPA issue.
Have a look on the VM forums as you might find some help there, failing that get them to replace it and see how you get on with the replacement.

Alternatively purchase a decent ADSL router and stick VM's offering in a cupboard

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Download a wifi scanner for your phone and see what other freq are being used around you

Or use inSSIDer (HERE).

New Poll