corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Tablet recommendations

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tablet recommendations
KingDoug

User status: Offline
26th Apr 12 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking to get a tablet when I go over to America next month. Have looked around and found a couple I like the look of.
Just looking for some recommendations or tips for what to look for.
I will literally only be using it for web browsing so doesnt have to have amazing specs.
Hope for some help
Toby
Premium Member

27th Apr 12 at 05:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Size I think is the biggest factor round tablets these days as the majority of them have a very similar spec.

Personally of your not bothered about spec I would be going for something with a nice user interface personally I.would look at the HTC Flyer as this due to be replaced and is fairly cheap, play around on a few but I think a iPad 2 would suit you as they will be dirt cheap in the states now the 3 has been launched and the 2 cam still hold its own.
AlunJ

27th Apr 12 at 06:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have an ipad2, for web browsing its epic tbh! Only down side is the lack of flash... Still

[Edited on 27-04-2012 by AlunJ]
Bart

27th Apr 12 at 06:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ipad3 end of.

And Alun, Flash is very quickly on its way out.
AndyKent

27th Apr 12 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iPad of some sort.

My original one is still idea and I see no reason to upgrade.
If you are LITERALLY just web-browsing/emailing then a good condition original like mine should only be a couple of hundred quid.
Munchie

29th Apr 12 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kindle fire?
LeeM

29th Apr 12 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iPad 2 should be about $300 in the states, best thing behind an iPad 3 in my opinion (and many others)
Dom

29th Apr 12 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's just for browsing then personally i'd spend little and get something Android based (Flash support is also handy), otherwise it's $400 even for a bottom end iPad 2 - a fair old amount just for browsing.

Although the best bet is to have a play with a few before you head out there.
noshua

29th Apr 12 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iPad 2 is $399 in the states, then depending where you go you've got a chunk of sales tax as well. If you're going to Florida it'll work out about $430 with tax.

Not exactly cheap but still about £70 cheaper than over here.
bubble

30th Apr 12 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thisipad2 does my head in. Loadsofwebsites are poo cuzof flash. Lad here has one that pulls off from a keyboard, with android, and it's EPIC. A transformer or summat
KingDoug

30th Apr 12 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My problem is I can't justify spending $400 on something I am literally only going to use when the girlfriend is using the laptop or in bed to surf the net. I found a $99 one that I like the look of, its not an iPad but it will keep up with my needs, but haven't found it on either best buy or wall mart websites so will have to look when I am over there as to whats available.
LeeM

1st May 12 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheap ones are shite. £250 isn't much for an iPad that you could sell on for just as much if you don't use it (which is unlikely, once you've got it you'll never be off it)
Todi-Corsa

1st May 12 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HP touchpad and load Android on it thats if you can find one at a decent price as they sold out in a firesale I got 2 through my work there really good IMO
Dom

1st May 12 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
Cheap ones are shite. £250 isn't much for an iPad that you could sell on for just as much if you don't use it (which is unlikely, once you've got it you'll never be off it)

It'd be £270 minimum after tax and i guess you've had little experience with anything else

KingDoug - As mentioned, have a play on a few different tablets before you head out and make the decision yourself.
LeeM

1st May 12 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my dads got a cheap archos one, it was about £150 and is shit compared to my ipad.
Dom

1st May 12 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
my dads got a cheap archos one, it was about £150 and is shit compared to my ipad.

So you're tarring all tablets other than the iPad shit because of your Dads Archos (I suspect it's the 101 which never really got glowing reviews)?

Plenty of decent Android £100 tablets about, but with anything it's always worth playing with one if you can and reading reviews.
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd May 12 at 14:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart

I've had a work issued iPad for a week or two now, and although it has really sold me on the tablet craze (I use it all the time), the lack of Flash is really hurting the iPad for me combined with some other frustrations I've got with the apple OS compared to android devices.

I think I'm going to do a bit of research into some Android competitors as I'm going to the states in July, so if there are a few ££ to be saved I may consider treating myself.

A work colleague has just ordered a "Zenithink C91" at £120 he's VERY sceptical but after reading a few reviews I'm actually looking forward to having a play with it, it sounds quite promising.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
LeeM

3rd May 12 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have on occasion cursed the iPad when I've gone on a website that hasn't worked but that's probably happened 3 or 4 times since I've had it.
Bart

3rd May 12 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:

I've had a work issued iPad for a week or two now, and although it has really sold me on the tablet craze (I use it all the time), the lack of Flash is really hurting the iPad for me combined with some other frustrations I've got with the apple OS compared to android devices.

I think I'm going to do a bit of research into some Android competitors as I'm going to the states in July, so if there are a few ££ to be saved I may consider treating myself.

A work colleague has just ordered a "Zenithink C91" at £120 he's VERY sceptical but after reading a few reviews I'm actually looking forward to having a play with it, it sounds quite promising.

Just a quick look on youtube at one running the latest ICS OS, and its looks wank, but then thats what you get for that sort of money:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08BTTwZN-EQ
very sluggish, slow responses, jittery movements, no thank you.
LeeM

3rd May 12 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most important thing is to try out typing, my iPad is as quick as a physical laptop but going back to my dads archos the space bar never picked up I was touching it first time round
Dom

3rd May 12 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Just a quick look on youtube at one running the latest ICS OS, and its looks wank, but then thats what you get for that sort of money:

Hit and miss with the cheapy chinese £100 tablets but there has been a few that have been spot on for the money.
andy_mk3

3rd May 12 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just bought an iPad, even though I have a PC and a decent laptop It's fantastic though, great for when in bed or going to a friends or whatever.
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th May 12 at 07:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Yuk that video does look horrible, but I've seen some rather generous reviews. Apparently it was initially released with firmware that destroyed the battery life and made the tablet run like a dog in general, that's since been resolved with a firmware update so I'm wondering if that video is a pre-update version.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

New Poll