corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Mobile Apps

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mobile Apps
A1EX

User status: Offline
9th May 12 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does anyone know anything about making them?
Whittie

9th May 12 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A little, been learning in my spare time. There's a few lads on here who know a lot more though, what are you wanting?
Sam
Premium Member

9th May 12 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm currently learning Objective C which is what is used for developing iOS and Mac OS apps, Ed is probably your best bet for that though as I believe he's done some work with Objective C.
A1EX

10th May 12 at 05:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its for our property rental company Ideally itll be for helping someone find rental property in certain areas etc, need to find out exactly whats wanted on it still. Its more of a gimmick and advertisement for the company though it seems
Sam
Premium Member

10th May 12 at 07:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What exactly do you want to know? Are you asking how to make one or if someone could make one for you?
Dom

10th May 12 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can also use Adobe Air; so you build an iOS App using a mixture of Flash/Flex/AS/HTML/JS. Although what's the reason for wanting a dedicated App? Could you not create a mobile version of your website (i assume users can already search for properties on your site)?

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
I'm currently learning Objective C which is what is used for developing iOS and Mac OS apps, Ed is probably your best bet for that though as I believe he's done some work with Objective C.

How are you getting on with it? Had any head bashing yet?
ed

10th May 12 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Ed is probably your best bet

I don't really do dedicated apps - I just cheat and make them using HTML5 and PhoneGap. Never had anything published so don't know how successful my apps would be, but most the time clients who ask about this stuff don't really want a dedicated app, they just want their app to be in the App Store or Marketplace. I think they have a 'thing' about saving web pages to your 'desktop', it's not quite as cool as being able to have the find us on the App Store graphic on their website.
Laney

10th May 12 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Am I right in thinking PhoneGap spits out the app inside a load of WebViews and it's essentially HTML? It's built in HTML/JS is it not?

Have you had an experience with Titanium Ed? I've had quite a lot of success with it
ed

10th May 12 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup, PhoneGap loads HTML in a WebView - it adds extra useful/OS level methods to the navigator object so you can access things like the phonebook or images stored on the phone.

I've looked at Titanium, but was put off because it's not free like PhoneGap.
Laney

10th May 12 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.appcelerator.com/plans-pricing

There is a free version
Dom

10th May 12 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never used PhoneGap/Titanium, but when packaged as an app is the HTML locally loaded or can it access it remotely?
ed

10th May 12 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's all local. You have to set allowed domains that the app can access in a payload file (with PhoneGap).
Sam
Premium Member

10th May 12 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some of these sites I've seen where you can make your app for free/a price on their website seem to suggest that you still have to pay the £68 or whatever it is per year to join the Apple Developer Network in order to publish to the App Store.

I've had a bit of a break from Objective C at the moment as I've been busy with paid work but I'm going to resume my learning of it this weekend.

It doesn't seem a million miles away from stuff I've been used to already (i.e. VB, PHP, Javascript) it's just a different way of writing stuff.

I've very briefly dabbled in C++ many years ago so I guess that helps a bit too.

The Objective C training on lynda.com is very good too (from Simon Allardice). It's my birthday soon so I might request some books on the subject too as it's always nice to refer to printed matter rather than trawling through stuff on the web to get an answer.
ed

10th May 12 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These books are supposed to be pretty good - guy in my office uses them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1430218150/
Sam
Premium Member

11th May 12 at 07:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Ed, looks good
A1EX

11th May 12 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
What exactly do you want to know? Are you asking how to make one or if someone could make one for you?

Sorry for late reply been out the country, well I was wondering how easy it was but looking at the replies seems out of range for what I can do so better if someone makes it for me. I need to speak to my partner and find out some more info as it was just an idea but looks like it could work well especially being advertised on the app store.
A2H GO

11th May 12 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These are meant to be a good source too:

http://www.wibit.net/course_list

New Poll