corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Problems after buying a car from a garage...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Problems after buying a car from a garage...
purple_corsa_gls

User status: Offline
14th May 12 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've bought a car from a garage, and there are a couple of problems. It is a 54 reg, so not new, but when driving there is a knocking noise at low speed from the front suspension. The second there was a clunk when braking from the back. There is some rusted metal resting on the rim of the alloy and grinding when driving. Thirdly, the radio is intermittent, clicking on and off, but the garage has already said they will send a new head unit to me.

I have no clue about cars (which may be apparent from above) so need to take it to my garage tomorrow, but want to know if I have any rights? I live in Sunderland and travelled to Glasgow to buy the car from a dealer (not the one I asked about the other day). I've owned the car since last Wednesday and have done approximately 250 miles in it.

If there are any big problems what would be expected - would I need to take it back to Glasgow to the garage, and if there are a few problems would I have any grounds to ask for my money back? I've looked on Citizens Advice, but not sure if the Scotland/England thing would be an issue

Thanks
AndyCorsaSport

14th May 12 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Google it. By law garage have to give 30 days warranty. (apparently it was supposed to be extended but not sure)

Either that, or phone citizens advise.
mike56gte

14th May 12 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you not test drive it before you bought it?
purple_corsa_gls

14th May 12 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes - knew about the radio and a new head unit was reasonable. The knock was not noticed and the other issue happened on braking
John

14th May 12 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How did you manage to pick 2 separate cars in Glasgow?
purple_corsa_gls

14th May 12 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Luck. Garages are about 8 miles apart. Thinking the other one from the Garage mentioned was the better option now!
John

14th May 12 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What garage was it from?
purple_corsa_gls

14th May 12 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not going to say. Want to speak to them about it first
purple_corsa_gls

14th May 12 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just had the RAC out and they advised it was a corroded, loose heat shield that caused the noise and the grinding. The RAC man said the heat shield although necessary, with being the back one it isn't as important as the front heat shields, but needs replacing.

The thing he was most concerned about was the fact that the brake caliper on the back was damaged and the retaining pin that should have been holding it in was replaced by a plastic cable tie. He was concerned that the garage sold it this way and mainly that I had driven back nearly 200 miles from the garage.
ShEp

14th May 12 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm, i think you bought that 54 plate astra didnt you
purple_corsa_gls

14th May 12 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope. Rav4
purple_corsa_gls

15th May 12 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After speaking to Citizens Advice, under the Sales of Goods Act 1979 the dealer should repair/replace the car, then if not repaired/replaced provide a refund.

Has anyone been in this situation? With the nature of the problem (brakes) is it reasonable to request full repair of the issues (heat shields and brake calipers) but as well have a complete check of the braking system to ensure it is all in working order with no other issues?

Thanks
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

15th May 12 at 10:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

write them a letter send it recorded delivery and specify a date you will be taking it back for repairs and they need to respond by a certain date. If they do not respond take it to small claims court for the cost of getting the car repaired
purple_corsa_gls

15th May 12 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've emailed them pictures and copies or the RAC report and the information - will post it when I can print it. The issue I have is I live in Sunderland and bought it from Glasgow. The RAC have noted it not safe to drive so can't get it to them. Citizens advice have advised that the garage may say to get it fixed here, if not then it is up to them to transport it to their garage in Glasgow. I have given them 7 days to fix it, again deemed suitable by CAB. Will wait and see the response....

Thanks
John

15th May 12 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was it some amazing deal that you drove past what I imagine to be countless other Rav4's to come to Glasgow?

They should fix the brakes depending on what was said when you bought it though.
purple_corsa_gls

15th May 12 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No. It was a particular model that I wanted and was prepared to travel for it. Not really the help I'm looking for - was more to do with the issues on the car and other people's experience with similar circumstances. Car was sold as being mechanically sound with full and comprehensive service history from an established dealer
John

15th May 12 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's sold as mechanically sound it should have been, even if it wasn't sold as that I think the law is on your side anyway.

Being at a distance puts you at a bit of a disadvantage though.

How much will it cost to fix? Depending on what the garage say it might be cheaper to do it yourself.
purple_corsa_gls

15th May 12 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure yet. Still waiting to hear from the garage as to whether they want it looked at here or there....RAC guessed at about £250-£300 for calipers and fitting
purple_corsa_gls

16th May 12 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The garage I bought the car from said to speak to somewhere I use for the repair. I've spoken with the garage I use and they've explained:

The brake dust shield (bit that rusted and fell off) he can only get from Toyota and is £367+VAT

The Caliper and pad x 2 + labour is £230 + VAT

The man at the garage I use said Brake shield sounds very expensive for the part - the most expensive one he's had to buy before is £75 + VAT but can't source one elsewhere other than from Toyota.

What do the rear brake dust shields do? I guess with them being fitted to a car they are necessary but sounds very expensive. The repair bill for 2 x calipers, pads and dust shields + VAT is £1156
Matty SRi

16th May 12 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much

Typical garage
Sam
Premium Member

17th May 12 at 06:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't see them spending that kind of money TBH.

Are these all genuine Toyota parts then?

On the Euro Car Parts website, a Pagid caliper costs £97 and Pagid rear pads £32. That garage you use must charge a lot for labour and make a big markup on parts if they aren't genuine OEM ones?

Edit: they also have 30% off brakes on there at the moment with a voucher code (DP30).

[Edited on 17-05-2012 by Sam]
John

17th May 12 at 07:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a garage taking the piss because they think they can.

How can a bit of formed tin cost £367? They rust and fall off all the time btw.
purple_corsa_gls

17th May 12 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is the price from Toyota - the garage has said they cannot find them elsewhere. I've been in touch with someone on a Toyota forum that offers discounts for Toyota parts and he's said he thought it was an error, but the part is £367 on the Toyota parts system.....he can give 10% discount though

Someone on there has posted:

There are 2 shields, one is the big round one at the top left of the picture and I've heard they can be hellish expensive on other brands but this sometimes takes the form of a torque plate. In other words all the brake parts are fastened to it and it takes up all the braking forces like the one Jedi has shown for the drum brake. This isn't the case on a RAV but it does support all the hand brake gubbins so it is more than just a dirt shield. It will need it for MOT though so no leaving it off!

The second shield is in the panel under the shield marked 47767. These often fall off but should be fitted as they are part of the pin retaining system.

From the bit that fell off and the attachment he's put on, it appears to be the big, hellish expensive one....
John

17th May 12 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What year is it? I've got an old rav and ripped the dust shields off, they are literally a bit of tin. If it's something else more structural that explains the price a bit better.

What are the Glasgow garage saying about that quote?
purple_corsa_gls

17th May 12 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a 2004 (54). It appeared to be a bit of tin that has come off - just shocked at how much Toyota want for one!

They haven't replied to my email yet. Left him a voicemail yesterday too, so still waiting.....

The letter is going out recorded delivery today so hopefully that will kickstart it

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Problems after buying a car from a garage... 23 database queries in 0.0129290 seconds