corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » [Bike day] Removing chain rings

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author [Bike day] Removing chain rings
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
4th Jun 12 at 11:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never used my MTB much, but need to cycle to work every day now, so I'd like to make a few adjustments.

First off, can anyone recommend a set of good road tyres that I can use all year including in the wet and light snow?

Secondly, and more important, I'd like to remove the two smallest chain rings. The range I get from the largest ring is fine, however it twists the chain when using the lower gears hence I have to change down to a smaller chain ring.
Now, I know very little about bikes, but it's my understanding I can remove the two extra chain rings and move the largest one to the middle, is this correct?
Will I need extra parts or can I just remove the two rings?

I have 7 gears on the back, will all 7 run smoothly on just one ring?

FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

4th Jun 12 at 11:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yerp all 7 will run smoothley. And depending on what type of chainring it is you should just be able to remove the old ones without any new bits and bobs. However running one ring at the front will more than likley call for using a chain guide as it will have alot of flex in it and can quite easily throw the chain off left or right.
As for the tyres try a set of specialized armidillo crossroads (i think thats what there called anyways) being the armidillo tyres they will hardly ever get a puncture, they will last forever and they are a very hybrid tyre so will give you the best onroad but with some off road durability.

That any help atall dude?
Balling
Premium Member

4th Jun 12 at 12:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91
And depending on what type of chainring it is you should just be able to remove the old ones without any new bits and bobs. However running one ring at the front will more than likley call for using a chain guide as it will have alot of flex in it and can quite easily throw the chain off left or right.

Cheers for the answer.

Is it just a matter of, if the rings come apart it works? Anything I need to do, to fit the outer ring in the center placement? Or is that part obvious when I get it apart?

And am I just looking in the wrong place or is a chain guide seriously £100??? Is it needed if I stay on the road and 'behave'?

FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

4th Jun 12 at 12:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not needed as much as without it your fucked
But id suggest getting one at some point in time

It will become alot more obvious when you get it apart and have a nose about it, it does depends on what chain ring but once you get it apart you will see how it goes together and that and you will see if you need any more parts. Probly not though to be honest mate
jameswalshe1990

4th Jun 12 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What bike do you have?
Balling
Premium Member

4th Jun 12 at 12:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jameswalshe1990
What bike do you have?

Gary Fisher hardtail. Not sure on the model exactly, but think it's a 2007. Nothing fancy.

Balling
Premium Member

6th Jun 12 at 12:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So I ended up with a pair of Schwalbe Big Apple Liteskin 2.0's. Chainreaction has a sale as well as free shipping so it worked out quite a bit cheaper than using a different supplier and going for the Specialized's.

I'm sticking with the three chain rings at the moment as I fear the procedure is not within my rather limited skill set.
As I have very little to gain I figured it wasn't worth the hassle.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » [Bike day] Removing chain rings 24 database queries in 0.2401052 seconds