corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Really overheating

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Really overheating
Root

User status: Offline
   25th Jun 12 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a 12v 2000 corsa (b shape) that is overheating badly. I've just replaced the crankshaft sensor because it was cutting out all the time and refusing to start with a hot engine.

The engine always feels very hot, today after I fitted the crankshaft sensor, I took her for a good 10 minute blast to try stall the car to see if my replacement sensor had fixed it (it had).

Then when I parked up, noticed water leaking from the engine bay. The pressure had blown the lid off and water had pissed out. The engine runs unreasonably hot, even the coilpack feels boiling to the touch!

What could be causing this problem? Im not mechanically minded but I do try to fix my car myself so I don't know much about troubleshooting. Water pump? thermostat? radiator blocked?

Thanks for all the help guys, if it's possibly the thermostat, I can take it out and put it in boiling water to test it! Also the temperature guage always indicates temperate is normal (about 90 degrees).

Thanks for anybody willing to help! I love this community.
bigron1988

25th Jun 12 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like headgasket
Root

25th Jun 12 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's water in the system. Could it be because I didn't tighten the cap properly?

Also there's no mayo on the oil filler cap or in the sump (dip stick). No symptons of a head gasket failure at all
bigron1988

25th Jun 12 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on my corsa when the hg went there was on mayo either , the exhaust gasses were pressurising the cooling system causing the water temps to rise up to 120ish till i turned the car of water was spraying out from under the cap but there was still water in the system till the next day when it had cooled down and the headertank was empty
Root

25th Jun 12 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I'll see if it was because I didn't tighten the cap properly before jumping to any conclusions. At the end of the day, I've seen CS members selling 1 litre engines for £50 so if worst comes to worst.

Cheers for the advice, I'll see if it repeats this action now that the filler cap is done up very tight. If it does, I'll begin to worry, to me, the engine feels very hot, I've not had a 1 litre before though, only 1.2 8v and 1.4 8v and these weren't very hot running. But the dial indicates it's normal so...maybe it is? Cheers for advice, I'll definitely keep it in mind and keep a close eye on my car, thanks

New Poll