corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Credit Card and Loan help please!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Credit Card and Loan help please!
Norcy91

User status: Offline
27th Jun 12 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right then, i've only got a small amount of my loan left to pay off, but not small enough to just pay off at once.

Would i be able to pay this off on a 0% credit card? If so, would it be classed as a purchase or a balance transfer? I don't have a clue about this sort of stuff
fred7

28th Jun 12 at 05:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i looked into this with halifax credit card and tesco loan they said its balance transfer. Martin lewis is your best place for this. They will say whats your best option
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

28th Jun 12 at 06:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guessing would need a settlement figure as of your last direct debit.

Pay that in full either by cash, cheque, card.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
taylorboosh

28th Jun 12 at 07:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you cant afford it tbh, or your car... living beyond your means imo
Norcy91

28th Jun 12 at 07:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can easily afford it thanks! Cue the "biting" comments...
timmsy21

28th Jun 12 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can afford not to do a balance transfer then i'd just give the loan company a call and pay as much as you can possibly over 2 or 3 payments if you have to!

Pays off your loan and saves getting credit card.

However on the flip side of that if you can get a 1-2 years interest free CC on balance transfers with a big enough allowance to cover your loan and your confident you can pay it off before the interest free is up then go for it! just be careful not to fall into the trap of having more 'available money'
Norcy91

28th Jun 12 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's basically just to get rid of the rest of my loan so I can take out a new one with my bank, the existing loan will be paid off in full after a couple of weeks. Basically so I can avoid getting car finance so the interest rate is nearly double a personal loan from my bank
Fro

28th Jun 12 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by timmsy21
If you can afford not to do a balance transfer then i'd just give the loan company a call and pay as much as you can possibly over 2 or 3 payments if you have to!

Some won't let you alter the payments, you either continue to pay as normal or clear it in full.
timmsy21

28th Jun 12 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fro
Some won't let you alter the payments, you either continue to pay as normal or clear it in full.

Fair enough, guess it depends who the loan is with, worth a go though rather than getting more credit to clear a loan, been there, done that and never a good idea!
Fro

28th Jun 12 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definitely agree.

If the above is a no go, I would wait the couple of weeks to clear the loan in full, as you will usually be charged an initial fee to balance transfer(a % of the total).

As the 0% on balance transfer usually just covers the interest it would accrue.
Norcy91

28th Jun 12 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

4% fee to do the balance transfer, that's still cheaper than the interest I'd be paying on the rest of the loan!
Kippers

28th Jun 12 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just did a Halifax one for 22 month balance transfer and got limit of 7250.

Spending spree for the micra turbo me thinks!
Cavey

28th Jun 12 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Norcy91
It's basically just to get rid of the rest of my loan so I can take out a new one with my bank, the existing loan will be paid off in full after a couple of weeks. Basically so I can avoid getting car finance so the interest rate is nearly double a personal loan from my bank

Would they not extend your loan to the new amount you want to borrow? Or do you want to finish it or a shit percentage and get a new one at lower?
Norcy91

28th Jun 12 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
quote:
Originally posted by Norcy91

Would they not extend your loan to the new amount you want to borrow? Or do you want to finish it or a shit percentage and get a new one at lower?

The latter basically, it was originally a small loan, so got a standard 16.9%APR Borrowing over £7000 so i get the 6.2% currently offered. Also can't extend it because i haven't have the loan for 12 months yet.
Eck
Premium Member

29th Jun 12 at 12:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you extend a loan, it is actually a new loan and will have a new percentage, with enough to pay off the last one and give you the amount of credit you desire. But being within12 months that's completely useless anyway I would take the credit card out, and just pay it off before the interest rate is applied. Would boost your credit score too!
Norcy91

29th Jun 12 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I might just do that and pay it off interest free over 20 months and get the Type R I mentioned in the other thread (all being well with the car!). Seems a more sensible idea than getting myself into even more debt when I should be trying to save really

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Credit Card and Loan help please! 24 database queries in 0.0098879 seconds