corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Talk to me about home servers

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Talk to me about home servers
Aaron

User status: Offline
7th Aug 12 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a server at home for many years. I used it to faff about with Active Directory etc, however, about 6 months ago, the thing totally died on me (it was about 7 or so years old tbh)

I was going though a house move at the time, and i couldn't be bothered to replace it. I'm now quite settled in my new place, and i quite fancy buying a new server to help me up-skill.

I'd like to be as small and powerful as possible, powerful enough for me to have a good play with virtualisation.

Any recommendations?

Budget is £400 or less if possible
Dom

7th Aug 12 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about a HP ML110 G7? Add a load more ram and stick ESXI on it and you have a winner. £150 cashback too.

Edit - Otherwise a N40 but it depends what you're planning to use it for.

[Edited on 07-08-2012 by Dom]
Aaron

7th Aug 12 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll be used to store digital media on, such as music and films, and also as a learning tool. I'd quite like to experiment with virtualisation, as well we expanding knowledge of Windows server OS's tbh. I'd only plan on running a maximum of 3 virtual server at any one time.
Dom

7th Aug 12 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HP ML110 G7 would be the better bet, run ESXI then FreeNas etc for storage side of things and then your Windows/Server OS's in other containers.
Only issue is noise; they aren't jet plane loud, like you get with some Dell's, but you'd certainly notice a G7 running.
Aaron

7th Aug 12 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Noise wouldn't be too much of an issue, given that it's going to be in my computer room anyway...where my PC is somewhat of a monster in terms of noise anyway.

eBuyer?
Aaron

7th Aug 12 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.misco.co.uk/Product/Q496531/HP-ProLiant-ML110-G7-Intel-Pentium-G840-2GB-250GB-DVD-ROM-Tower-Server-1-Year-Warranty

?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

7th Aug 12 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ML110 looks alright for the money, I'd be tempted to get one myself. Looking on crucial its going to cost £120 to max out the ram to 16GB
Dom

7th Aug 12 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would double check the cashback offer as there are a few different specs of G7, the G840/G850 versions and the E3. Also eBuyer stock them which tend to be cheaper than Misco.

Worth a read of the thread over on OcUK as well - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18410198.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

8th Aug 12 at 15:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

corrr
Aaron

21st Aug 12 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought this in the end - http://www.ebuyer.com/281915-hp-proliant-turion-ii-n40l-microserver-100-cashback-658553-421

and also the 8GB RAM pack.

Plan is to install ESXi on it, and then have a faff with virtual servers.
Dom

21st Aug 12 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be interesting to see how you get on with the N40, considering it's not exactly a speed demon But you should be able to get a handful of virtual containers going either way.
Aaron

21st Aug 12 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, i know what you mean. I'm only going to be having 3 virtual hosts going at the same time, probably only two to be honest. I fancied something pretty small.

New Poll