corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What's the club that drives old motors abroad every year

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What's the club that drives old motors abroad every year
baza31

User status: Offline
8th Aug 12 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above . I thought it was something like bangers to berlin etc . They usually paint cars up etc . Usually for charity I think
liamC

8th Aug 12 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wack Rally? My mate did it a year or 2 ago.
JaffaTB

8th Aug 12 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Barcelona bangers? theres load of groups that do it according to google
3CorsaMeal

8th Aug 12 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corrado forum?
Daveskater
Premium Member

8th Aug 12 at 12:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rust to Rome is another.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
sam-smith

8th Aug 12 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mongol rally?
Dom

8th Aug 12 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JaffaTB
theres load of groups that do it according to google

This! There's load of companies that do them.
If you're planning to do this then make note to double or triple what you think it'll cost. And get as many people as possible to help spread the cost.

When i did Calais to Casablanca it was with Street Safari. Really good event and generally a laugh but the organisers didn't take part in the rally (essentially they drove around in new cars, 'leader' had a brand new mustang, and were there just to sign you in and meet you at the check points to give information on the next stage) which was a sour point with a lot of us.
We also found a lot of people didn't quite stay to the rules which was to use a £>100 'banger'. There were people there with Saab's, Polo/Golfs, Cosworth Mercs (apparently they built it up from scratch), 7 series BWMs. It was more of a case of having a receipt showing you 'purchasing' it for £100 and then saying you either got a bargain or had to repair it.

And we (two of us) worked it out to have cost roughly £4k/4.5k for the week but this includes the cost of the car, fixing it (a lot could have been saved here), ferries, food and mixture of motels (formule 1 type efforts) and decent hotels.

[Edited on 08-08-2012 by Dom]
djgritt
Premium Member

8th Aug 12 at 12:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm doing Staples to Naples this year, through Street Safari

Not done one before, but the guys I'm going with have done 4 in a row previously, so should be in good hands.

We are using an old 1992/3 2.1td plastic bodied Renault Espace this year...
djgritt
Premium Member

8th Aug 12 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Street Safari rules this year are cars up to 'S' Registration, and up to a £250 budget

The scrappage scheme seems to have made the banger market a bit worse, hence the changes in rules to allow a greater chance of picking something up these days
Corsa_Sport21

8th Aug 12 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My old MR2 was a "Rust to Rome" car.

Once i had removed the stickers, it was clear why.
Nath

8th Aug 12 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sam-smith
mongol rally?

My boss did this in an old Ambulance
Dom

8th Aug 12 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt

Not done one before, but the guys I'm going with have done 4 in a row previously, so should be in good hands.

Sounds like you've got a fair bit of space then. Did ours in a rover 218, which was covered in fur (not the smartest of ideas)

Be interested in hearing how you got on though, especially with the organisers.
baza31

8th Aug 12 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I come across an old 82 datsun today but it's 500 and he wouldn't budge to 300 which I offered. To be honest I haven't worked it out in cost but the France Switzerland and ending up at Prague sounds good to me . I reckon I can easy do it for few grand no probs and that's for 3 of us . Plus 2500 will probably be on beer in Prague and hopefully be deported for free there is one on it two weeks so need to pull my finger out . Do the clubs charge?
baza31

8th Aug 12 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

How much did it cost and is there any space on it?
Dom

8th Aug 12 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
Well I come across an old 82 datsun today but it's 500 and he wouldn't budge to 300 which I offered. To be honest I haven't worked it out in cost but the France Switzerland and ending up at Prague sounds good to me . I reckon I can easy do it for few grand no probs and that's for 3 of us . Plus 2500 will probably be on beer in Prague and hopefully be deported for free there is one on it two weeks so need to pull my finger out . Do the clubs charge?

If there is a limit on the cost of the banger, then just get another receipt written out for that limit (or some random figure just below). Just don't go taking the piss and trying to blag a new 8 series for £100

Usually you'll have to register prior to attending (closing registration date when i did mine was about 3/4 months before the start date) and you have to pay a registration cost (about £100 each when i did C2C).
Obviously differs per rally, so I'd check up on the details.

You'll need to check with your rally organisers but we were told we would have to either scrap the car at the end of the rally or drive it back. Abandoning the car would result in a hefty fine/prison time; no idea if this was true but we didn't want to risk it being in Morocco

If you think you can do it for £2k then good luck but the costs soon add up and i would make sure you have the extra funds available if you need it.
Gary
Premium Member

8th Aug 12 at 21:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Is having a child that bad you want to drive to europe in a shitter?
baza31

8th Aug 12 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
quote:
quote:

Is having a child that bad you want to drive to europe in a shitter?

Nope. Just fed up of working all time
baza31

8th Aug 12 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

If there is a limit on the cost of the banger, then just get another receipt written out for that limit (or some random figure just below). Just don't go taking the piss and trying to blag a new 8 series for £100

Usually you'll have to register prior to attending (closing registration date when i did mine was about 3/4 months before the start date) and you have to pay a registration cost (about £100 each when i did C2C).
Obviously differs per rally, so I'd check up on the details.

You'll need to check with your rally organisers but we were told we would have to either scrap the car at the end of the rally or drive it back. Abandoning the car would result in a hefty fine/prison time; no idea if this was true but we didn't want to risk it being in Morocco

If you think you can do it for £2k then good luck but the costs soon add up and i would make sure you have the extra funds available if you need it.

Agh right. Might just book for next year then I've got plenty of time to get everything sorted
djgritt
Premium Member

8th Aug 12 at 22:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Don't think there is any space as I'm sure deadlines have passed and we leave in 2 weeks.

Google Street Safari and have a look on their sites for cost ideas. We are spreading ours between 3 people, so can't give a good idea.
djgritt
Premium Member

8th Aug 12 at 22:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Sounds like you've got a fair bit of space then. Did ours in a rover 218, which was covered in fur (not the smartest of ideas)

Be interested in hearing how you got on though, especially with the organisers.

Yeah, I'll feedback thoughts on here as I'm taking my camera and shall be doing a thread for it all anyway.

We were supposed to going in a Carlton Estate (veteran of the last 4 years) but it catastrophically failed it's MOT last month and we wouldn't have had it repaired in time.
Steve
Premium Member

8th Aug 12 at 23:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Puma to ring
JordyCarter

9th Aug 12 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

4k is an outrage i like the idea but would never fork out that much money.
djgritt
Premium Member

9th Aug 12 at 10:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JordyCarter

It's not costing us £4k to do...

It depends on what you spend the money on.

If you do the bare minimum and keep purchases to essentials only, you could do it for around £1.5k in total I reckon.
Split the cost between 2/3/4 of you and the costs drop massively.
Dom

9th Aug 12 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JordyCarter

It was all done in a rush, with no real planning ie: hotels weren't booked up in advanced, rather we did it on the day; same with the ferries.
Again the car was one of the main issues, it had a dodgy clutch that needed replacing and needed some other work to get it through an MOT but then again we took the £100 limit literally and that's what we could get.

If we planned it better then we could have easily saved a fair old amount, especially when it came to hotels/motels (camping would be a better bet if you wanted to save the pennies).

But it's easy to spunk money on this type of event.

Certainly if i was to do it again then things would be done a lot differently However i would recommend it to anyone as it's a laugh, even if it's extremely tiring.

[Edited on 09-08-2012 by Dom]
bigboykarl

11th Aug 12 at 07:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.ramshacklerally.com/

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What's the club that drives old motors abroad every year 24 database queries in 0.0162270 seconds