corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Disabling startup items for terminal services users

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Disabling startup items for terminal services users
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
9th Aug 12 at 11:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yo,

got a Windows 2003 box running for terminal server users, they log in with rdp blahblahblah

Currently they are all running stupid startup applications like OfficeLiveSignIn.exe, VMwareTray.exe, and java update wanky shit. They don't need to be running these apps in the background and its sucking up precious memory.

What is the best way to stop these cunts? Is it just a case of me running msconfig from the console or do i need to get involve with GPOs?

From what I understand this is just a default setting, I don't think anything has been configured on purpose so these mugs are running these processes.

Advice appreciated spankz xx
willay
Premium Member

9th Aug 12 at 11:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eat a fuck.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

9th Aug 12 at 12:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its for all users do it through the startup folder if not gpo is best
willay
Premium Member

9th Aug 12 at 14:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just want it to affect the users on this single server
willay
Premium Member

9th Aug 12 at 14:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see references to the startup folder everywhere yet on this box they have fuck all in them
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

9th Aug 12 at 14:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do a gpo and assign it to the server
willay
Premium Member

9th Aug 12 at 14:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

boomshakaboom
Bart

9th Aug 12 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
Do a gpo and assign it to the server

what does this do?

Is the msconfig only relative to the terminal services user session or is it loaded from the server?
Steve
Premium Member

10th Aug 12 at 08:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can do it in msconfig, but that will involve you going and doing it on all machines.

pretty sure you will need server 2008+ with preferences to do it in GPO

are all the startup items common among all pc's? might be better to just write a batch script that modifies the registry on a login script or startup script via gpo to remove the entries, i wrote one the other day actually, key is HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

That only needs to run once on the PC's btw, once the entries are removed you can disable the script, or just get it to echo a text file then use an IF EXIST to check for that text file and to skip the batch running if it does

[Edited on 10-08-2012 by Steve]
willay
Premium Member

10th Aug 12 at 08:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve you misunderstood.

The server is a terminal services box, everyone that connects to it is from a Thin Client, so they connect to it over RDP, login with their network login and every user is running an instance of the processes I mentioned above.

I do not want them running them on startup.
Steve
Premium Member

10th Aug 12 at 12:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its running then from servers startup area then yeah just msconfig on the server

its not running them from the start menu startup folder is it?
willay
Premium Member

10th Aug 12 at 13:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, all the startup folders I can see within C:\Documents and settings\* have no links to startup applications. I've looked in my admin folder that i login as on the console, and a few of the remote users.
Steve
Premium Member

10th Aug 12 at 14:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like its just nabbing the servers processes then which it will do if the services are set to run as all users. Tried msconfig on server?
Root

11th Aug 12 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Tried msconfig on server?

and regedt32.exe (sometimes there are some in there that aren't on msconfig)
Steve
Premium Member

11th Aug 12 at 14:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there wont be msconfig reads all entries in the registry run hive
pow
Premium Member

12th Aug 12 at 17:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Msconfig as the admin on the server should do it surely. It's the box that h that software installed. Not the user profile
Chris
Premium Member

12th Aug 12 at 23:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Domain policy,

if %usernname% =someone then process -k "Process Name"
Steve
Premium Member

13th Aug 12 at 06:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

then you will have to write a line for every user on the domain

if doing it that way, better forgetting the user system variable and sticking the rest in a login script for all the affected users
Planty02

15th Aug 12 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

navigate to here in the registry on the terminal server...HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

You will probably find the applications in here. Simply delete anything you dont want to run
Steve
Premium Member

15th Aug 12 at 15:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like familiar advice

New Poll