corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Any way of .....

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Any way of .....
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
19th Aug 12 at 22:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
That to me would work out to be a pretty penny.

Cheaper than buying it cash.

Corsa_Sport21

User status: Offline
19th Aug 12 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How exactly??
Chris x

19th Aug 12 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You could probably actually come out on top in that case. Be in profit.

Bound to be worth around £3500 still??
Not sure how many miles Archies has done...but I have been looking at Type R's. Was a Milano Red, 94k Miles, 54plate, FHSH, new clutch (Honda), completely standard and in mint condition, that didnt sell at £3k.
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

19th Aug 12 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mines has just hit 90k, i've done 3k in it.

At 180 miles per tank i dread to think what i've spent on fuel.
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Aug 12 at 22:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
How exactly??

Because I'm taking the piss because it frustrates me that your (and most people's tbh) grasp of finance is so shit.

How can he be in profit? You mean he has equity in the car - yes of course if he pays enough off to offset depreciation.

That isn't a trick - that is paying more off than the car loses.

The loss curve is generally an exponent and the payment curve is normally a straight line, and they intersect at some point, and if he's paid it off quicker, they intersected a while ago.

Same as if he owed more, they would intersect later, but he's not down - the payments were less.

Not profit is it.

By that token if you buy a car cash you are in profit because the car is worth the full amount and you're giving none to a finance company. Notwithstanding the fact that you just bought a car.
Archie
Premium Member

19th Aug 12 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So in reality i'm best off keeping it, taking it on the chin and learning my lesson the hard way ?
Corsa_Sport21

19th Aug 12 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would say its best off selling it. Going by what Ian is saying, you have already taken the biggest hit on it.

How much would you need to pay to settle it now??
Archie
Premium Member

19th Aug 12 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont know my early settlement, but going by payments and period left £3500.

Once i finish and sell the Corsa thats money towards paying it off aswell, and a few big homers lined up which should help.

May just work towards paying it off then swapping for something i want.

Ian
Site Administrator

19th Aug 12 at 22:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's no 'bigger hit' then if you bought it cash.

The car depreciates either way.

You've paid a bit of interest, there we go. If you keep the loan and the car, you'll carry on paying interest. If you terminate the loan, you'll stop paying interest. Why is why your settlement figure is less than the balance outstanding.

No different at all to buying it cash. Market conditions which dictate what the car is worth do not care how the money is made available to buy it.

The finance deal might be shit, no idea, not done the maths on that. I'm just trying to get away from talking about financing the car like its some trap you now can't get out of.

Its just maths. I think the figures are on the other page, I'll work it out if you've got a good or bad finance rate if you wish, but at no time does that change the rate the car was going to lose money.
Archie
Premium Member

19th Aug 12 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the general reality of it all is i'm more comfortable with having something bought and paid for, i dived in with 2 feet when it came to this.

£1100 is a lot to piss away if i was to get £3500 back for the car itself.
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Aug 12 at 22:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's just expensive, newish cars for you, nothing to do with finance.

I think most of yours you have lost a tenner or sometimes made money? Can't do that with a flash motor like that one.
Archie
Premium Member

19th Aug 12 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH Over the years i've owned over 50 cars, and maybe only lost money on 3 or 4 down to mechanical failure or swapped for something thats been a moneypit.

Edit - Majority of the time i've made money because of my trade, buying things needing attention, otr things like when i built my XE i sold it for double what it cost me to buy and build.

[Edited on 19-08-2012 by Archie]
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Aug 12 at 22:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's my point - this car being not like that is only partly due to it being financed.

In fact tell me more about the deal, was it from a dealer?
Archie
Premium Member

19th Aug 12 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye.

Was reduced from 4995 to 3995 as the manager special, which caught my eye.

Knocked it down to £3800 so i could get it there and then, given that i'd tax, service and MOT it myself (No biggie, its what i do)

£80 for service kit from Honda *Mates rate*
£20 for MOT from work.
£150 for 6 months tac (Due end of this month(

£700 deposit, paid cash on the spot, 7% interest rate, 24 monthly £152 payments, 2 month break before my 1st payment.
Corsa_Sport21

19th Aug 12 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So Ian, are you saying that financing the car hasn't made him worse off than what he would have been to this day, if he bought the car outright?? Thats the impression im getting.

[Edited on 19-08-2012 by Corsa_Sport21]
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Aug 12 at 23:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not at all - that would be ridiculous - he's paid interest.

I'm talking about the car depreciating at the same rate.

I'm also talking about the situation to sell, which depends on both the depreciation and the finance agreement.

I said the car would have depreciated in either case. I also said that the finance agreement puts him in debt or equity, but it only does so as a result of what he's paid.

I could be in massive debt to a car, needing to pay off grands, you might think that is a bad situation, but if I told you the monthly payments were a fiver you'd see how it happened.

Likewise I could have a few grand equity in the car, sounds nice until you learn I was paying £600pm for a £6k car.

It truly doesn't matter how it looks. The only cost to financing is the interest. In this case the cost has the potential to be £700 + (24 x £152) = £4348, minus the cash price.

I'm ignoring the £250 to get it on the road although that actually just effectively increases your deposit figure to £950.

Either way, the cost to finance would be £548 if you went the full term.

If you don't, its less. That's still the only cost though. Being badly off by owning the car is just because its from a dealer so £500 too expensive, it doesn't need anything fixing and Archie is selling as a private individual. All that together puts him in that situation in contrast to his other cars. The £500-odd interest just makes it look a bit worse, but that isn't for me the whole picture.

[Edited on 19-08-2012 by Ian]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Any way of ..... 23 database queries in 0.0165720 seconds