corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » 4G

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 4G
noshua

User status: Offline
21st Aug 12 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Telecoms regulator Ofcom has allowed Everything Everywhere, the company behind Orange and T-Mobile in the UK, to use its existing bandwidth to launch fourth-generation (4G) mobile services.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19328653

As early as October (although we need phones first!).

All seems a bit daft that there's no auction like with the 3G, considering that they now have the upper hand.
Dom

21st Aug 12 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 800 and 2600MHz spectrum is to be auctioned off late next year, and Orange/EE was lucky enough to already have a band (1800MHz) that can be used for 4G/LTE.
Although still surprised Ofcom allowed EE to start using it for 4G so early on considering the date of the spectrum auction, all seems a little fishy unless it's due to target keeping (4G would certainly help with rural broadband). And what is odd is the competition clause; EE have had to offer up 25% of the 1800 band which they gave it to Three, both part of MBNL so it was going to happen, however Three can't use their share until next year

Either way, it's a start and a good thing. Just hope phone manufactures use multiband radios otherwise it's going to be a real shambles and it'll end up like the yester-years of network specific models/versions

[Edited on 21-08-2012 by Dom]
A2H GO

21st Aug 12 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think its a good thing, love how Vodafone have kicked off with a statement saying it's bad for the consumer...yeah your consumers.

I'm with O2 and I'm still happy Ofcom/Orange/T-Mobile are pulling their fingers out their arse and getting round to something we should have had years ago. Can't even get 3G right.

Wouldn't be surprised if Apple didn't offer a back hander given it all ties in nicely with the iPhone 5 release

Thats assuming it works on the 1800 band
Doug

21st Aug 12 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't care about 4G. I still can't get faster than Edge at my desk in work. Would prefer the whole of the UK to have 3G (including the wilderness like Wales!) than some areas having 4G and the networks still being crap elsewhere!
Rob_Quads

21st Aug 12 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doug Would prefer the whole of the UK to have 3G than some areas having 4G and the networks still being crap elsewhere!

+1 Its amazing the amount of high population areas that still don't have decent 3G. My town is very poor for 3G on virtually all companies. High density, generally fairly well off with disposable cash area yet crap phone network.

Does the 4G spectrum carry better i.e. increase the amount of coverage from a transmitter?
Russ

21st Aug 12 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what will happen to Three when they start providing 4g? :E
Dom

22nd Aug 12 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Does the 4G spectrum carry better i.e. increase the amount of coverage from a transmitter?

The lower bands are better for coverage whilst the upper band are better for bandwidth/speed. So potentially it'll provide better coverage than current 3G.

Russ - I doubt they'll be changing their name, if that's what you were getting at
Balling
Premium Member

22nd Aug 12 at 08:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wasn't there some struggle with the term 4G and the definition of it?

Not to clued up on cellular technologies, but seem to recall issues with products branding the 4G name and technically not being 4G!?

Dom

22nd Aug 12 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Wasn't there some struggle with the term 4G and the definition of it?

Not to clued up on cellular technologies, but seem to recall issues with products branding the 4G name and technically not being 4G!?

You thinking of the Apple iPad and the law suit in Australia? Essentially Apple advertised the iPad as having 4G support in Australia but the iPad didn't support Telstra's LTE network, Apple ended up with a few million dollar fine.
Russ

22nd Aug 12 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Russ - I doubt they'll be changing their name, if that's what you were getting at

possible slogans

Three - the home of 4g
Three - Four

no, i dont work in advertising

didnt they buy all 'The Link' stores, brings back memories
Balling
Premium Member

22nd Aug 12 at 08:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
You thinking of the Apple iPad and the law suit in Australia? Essentially Apple advertised the iPad as having 4G support in Australia but the iPad didn't support Telstra's LTE network, Apple ended up with a few million dollar fine.
So that's isolated to that one product/country combo?
I mean, will we end up with a situation where 4G can essentially mean several different things or is there a list of technical requirements for something to be classed 4G?

Balling
Premium Member

22nd Aug 12 at 08:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
possible slogans

Three - Four
I hope they go for that one!

Whittie

22nd Aug 12 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As what Doug said, barely get 3G here in Wales
A2H GO

22nd Aug 12 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Manchester city centre FTW.
Whittie

22nd Aug 12 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been going to Manchester a lot lately, full 3g everywhere, mazin.

Barely have running water here.
ed

22nd Aug 12 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doug
I don't care about 4G. I still can't get faster than Edge at my desk in work. Would prefer the whole of the UK to have 3G (including the wilderness like Wales!) than some areas having 4G and the networks still being crap elsewhere!

I think one of the advantages of 4G is it's signals can travel longer distances than other types.
Dom

22nd Aug 12 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Originally posted by Doug

I think one of the advantages of 4G is it's signals can travel longer distances than other types.

People see 4G as only a speed increase and don't realise the lower band will actually improve coverage. And because of the increase in coverage, it'll also allow people in the sticks to get better broadband connections.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » 4G 26 database queries in 0.0106840 seconds