corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Tony Nicklinson

Poll: Tony Nicklinson
Right to die is right 37 (97.37%)
Right to die is wrong 1 (2.63%)
Other... 0 (0%)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tony Nicklinson
dannymccann

User status: Offline
22nd Aug 12 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/locked-syndrome-sufferer-dies-104351623.html

Didn't see a thread about it, but was wondering if I am alone in thinking we all should have the 'right to die', of course if we are of a sound mind to make the decision....?

Cannot see any benefit to carrying on living life in such a condition, draining yourself and those around you and I would like to think if the time came in my life I would be allowed, from a legal standpoint, to make a choice on it.

I inserted the 'Other...' option as I know some people get mardy when there isn't a stupid answer to choose from, but not sure I am elitist enough to mention portfolio's or Robin's sexual preferences....
Gary
Premium Member

22nd Aug 12 at 19:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone who votes that is wrong deserves to be 'locked in' for the rest of their days.
Ben G

22nd Aug 12 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm torn on this subject.

in his case, he should've been granted the right to die.

now, he's had to go through the torture of dieing from pneumonia instead of dieing peacefully.

but it's a system that would be abused if it were made law, with all these weirdo suicidal cunts all over the place.
Gary
Premium Member

22nd Aug 12 at 19:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How can you possibly be torn on the subject!
Gaz

22nd Aug 12 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm also unsure, when the human mind is sound and not inpaired then I would say yes. however most of these cases usually involves some form of disability and therefore it then (imo) becomes a matter of how sane-minded they are which is always up for debate.
Ben G

22nd Aug 12 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

read the last sentence and you'll see
Gary
Premium Member

22nd Aug 12 at 19:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So just because someone is a bit disabled they deservr to be locked in?
BarnshaW

22nd Aug 12 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a disgrace that he was potentially being forced to live his life.

i had this discussion today and if it was my family member in his position i think i would have no option to assist them ending their life, regardless of the consequences.

RIP to this man anyway, hopefully he is at peace now.
Ben G

22nd Aug 12 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
So just because someone is a bit disabled they deservr to be locked in?

it's a law that needs to be passed, but also needs to have a lot of conditions tied to it. every person should have to go through the courts and plead their case first.

would stop a lot of the mentalists that way.

you're being very narrow minded if you think a simple change of law would make everyone who ''wants to die'', happy.
Bart

22nd Aug 12 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im also torn on this, but think that Tony should have been granted the right.

If it becomes law, it will certainly devalue life and elderly/disabled family members may feel pressured into doing so if they're placing a burden on others or have other family members who stand to gain alot from insurance policies etc.
jimmy 2.1

22nd Aug 12 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was awful seeing him crying after the verdict was announced. Couldn't imagine being in that position, especially knowing that I'd lived a normal life prior to being locked in.
ryzer

22nd Aug 12 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It should be the persons right, if they are of sound mind, to have the basic right to end their life should they see fit.

We put animals down as its the right thing to do!
Cavey

22nd Aug 12 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In this case, yes he had the right to end his own life, should be up to the person.

He passed away today anyway though unfortunately
AndyKent

22nd Aug 12 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In theory yes, he should definitely have the right to die and in an ideal world you would say the court was wrong.

But the question is where do you draw the line? Do you have to be ill? How ill?

I can see why the courts would refuse to allow it.
Kerry

22nd Aug 12 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the decision was more to do with the fact he can't help with his own death i.e mix the drugs or administer, therefore it's murder?
Hammer

22nd Aug 12 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No one person should ever have the power to take a life, even their own.

Humans are fallible, they (we) fuck up absolutely everything we touch.
Gavin
Premium Member

22nd Aug 12 at 22:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he had the right to die

seems that we treat animal better than humans when it comes to ending life when there is suffering

If memory serves me correct, Tony Nicklinson had a stroke which lead to him being in this condition. He as a human had a right to die on the spot without any assistance to save his life. I'm sure when he had the stroke, the emergency services managed to keep him alive... but sadly, the damage was already done

What I'm trying to say is, technically and advances in science is keeping human alive, even in situations which would have led to death 10-20 years ago.

In his case, he should have given the right to die. Obviously this is a sensitive area and it should be based on a case by case basis

pew pew pew pewwwww
Gary
Premium Member

22nd Aug 12 at 22:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry
I think the decision was more to do with the fact he can't help with his own death i.e mix the drugs or administer, therefore it's murder?

He could headbutt a button. Or just say what he wanted. Its all just down to the same 'do gooders' that say criminals shouls have rights
John

22nd Aug 12 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should have the right to die but I can see why thats difficult to put down in law. I can't come up with a concrete solution to it, and neither can those in charge obviously. In which case you have to err on the side of caution and say its illegal.
am4nf

22nd Aug 12 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it should be made legal, but have certain conditions where they must be of proven sane state of mind and have a court style audience present to witness them saying they want it to happen.
andy_mk3

22nd Aug 12 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it should be decided on each individual case. There should be no right or wrong, each person and their situation is different.
Gary
Premium Member

23rd Aug 12 at 07:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why should someone be proven sane? That's just saying that if you've got a screw loose then you deserve to be 'locked in' etc

Surely just been in that state should be enough to put someone down unless they actually say no. We treat dogs better!
Hammer

23rd Aug 12 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gavin
he had the right to die

Clearly, he didn't.
BarnshaW

23rd Aug 12 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so he was being forced to live? which is worse in my opinion?
Matt L

23rd Aug 12 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If a person wants to die let them, it's like people on suicide watch I don't understand why we watch them and try and stop them if they want to let them, why do we medal in other people's lives/problems?

In this case he should have definitely been allowed and as harsh as it sounds I'm glad he went sooner rather than later, now he is at piece with what he wanted and hos family can move on knowing he got what he wanted just a shame it wasn't the most dignified way.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Tony Nicklinson 26 database queries in 0.0193450 seconds