corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » buying contact lenses online.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author buying contact lenses online.
Ben G

User status: Offline
6th Sep 12 at 06:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get my contact lenses from costco at the moment, but it costs me £52.00 for 3 months supply, as well as the £30 membership fee a year.

Can anyone recommend anywhere online to get them cheaper?

I'm a bit worried they'll be dodgy make me go blind
Gary
Premium Member

6th Sep 12 at 06:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Laser treatment not an option?
Ben G

6th Sep 12 at 07:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not just now.

Seen daysoft contacts on google, anyone got experience of these?
mwg

6th Sep 12 at 07:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have laser eye surgery you loaded bastard
Russ

6th Sep 12 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i use daysoft, £11 a month

they do two types, i higher and lower water content i believe, i found the higher didnt leave my eyes dry, but were absolute agony if not seated correctly, where as the lower dried out after about 12 hours but felt comfortable

[Edited on 06-09-2012 by Russ]
Carl

6th Sep 12 at 07:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try Asda, I know my girlfriend recently mentioned Asda were cheaper than what she gets currently but I wasn't taking enough notice for more detail than that.
Ben G

6th Sep 12 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
i use daysoft, £11 a month

they do two types, i higher and lower water content i believe, i found the higher didnt leave my eyes dry, but were absolute agony if not seated correctly, where as the lower dried out after about 12 hours but felt comfortable

[Edited on 06-09-2012 by Russ]

Cheers russ. They recommended the 'silk' ones for my eyes. The others are 'classic' iirc.

Might buy 1 box and see how I get on.

Matty - I wish I could afford laser surgery
harrisp

6th Sep 12 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've used daysoft for a couple of years without problems. I want laser eye surgery ideally.
Rob_Quads

6th Sep 12 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used ASDA to get my J&J ones. I only use them when playing sports.

lol at people saying have laser surgery. Not much point if your eyes are still changing as you may find after a year or so then your back to glasses/lenses.
SetH

6th Sep 12 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

0% finance everywhere on laser surgery at the moment.

I had mine done in 2007, best money I have ever spent and figured that I would easily piss it away on car mods.

When that woman on the advert says you see in HD afterwards, well tbh that pretty much sums it up
ed

6th Sep 12 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to get mine from http://www.contactlenses.co.uk - gave me a headache though so stopped using them in the end.
Ben G

6th Sep 12 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It seems my brother is using daysoft silk ones at the moment, and likes them.

Ideally I need laser eye surgery as I wear my contacts for up 20 hours a day sometimes, which make my eyes go red and puffy.
Matt L

6th Sep 12 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

specsavers... i pay £18 a month iirc but i have torics so more expensive than normal ones, think i used to pay £15.50 for non toric lenses.
Matt L

6th Sep 12 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
0% finance everywhere on laser surgery at the moment.

I had mine done in 2007, best money I have ever spent and figured that I would easily piss it away on car mods.

When that woman on the advert says you see in HD afterwards, well tbh that pretty much sums it up

sorry to thread hijack, but how much did that cost you?

I could never see myself getting it done, my cousins had it done now and a friend of the gfs (he had issuse with his though and had to have it done again).
K2 GTi

6th Sep 12 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was just about to look into laser eye surgery as I need it and i'm fed up with contacts.. Until I read this:-

What is laser eye surgery?

Local anaesthetic drops are placed in the eye being treated. A knife is used to cut a flap in the cornea. A hinge is left at one end of this flap. The flap is folded back to reveal the middle part of the cornea. Pulses from a laser vaporise a portion of this and the flap is replaced.

An eye patch is usually worn over the treated eye for 24 hours.

Both eyes can be treated on the same day, but your consultant should outline the risks. In order to reduce the risk of cross contamination should complications arise, each eye should be treated as separate procedure.
harrisp

6th Sep 12 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads

lol at people saying have laser surgery. Not much point if your eyes are still changing as you may find after a year or so then your back to glasses/lenses.

My eyes haven't chAnged in 10 years so I'd take my chances.
boylers11

6th Sep 12 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my professional opinion, DaySoft CLs are a load of rubbish. Hardly any of my/our patients wear them for that exact same reason.
As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. In saying that, just because something is the most expensive, it doesn't mean it's the very best, but if you pay for peanuts for contact lenses, you're not going to be getting top notch ones.
You'll always get cheaper lenses offline than from your Optician, as they have little overheads. My advice would be to get your contact lenses from whoever does your checkups. That way, you're supporting the people who are putting in all the hard work and keeping your eyes healthy, instead of paying someone in a storage unit who reads your order off the computer, goes and gets the lenses off the shelf and posts them to you.
As with laser surgery, you can't argue with the thousands of people who have had it done successfully, however, I get to see what happens when it goes wrong - and it can go very wrong. So much so, that you can be worse off than before! They advertise it for £399 per eye etc, but you'd be lucky to get anything 'top-spec' for less than about £1500 per eye and even then, noone knows what the long term implications of it are. I work with some of the surgeons who do that laser surgery and none of them have had it done - I think that says a lot!
VegasPhil
Premium Member

6th Sep 12 at 13:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use lens mail from specsavers for £15 a month.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Rob_Quads

6th Sep 12 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by boylers11
You'll always get cheaper lenses offline than from your Optician, as they have little overheads. My advice would be to get your contact lenses from whoever does your checkups. That way, you're supporting the people who are putting in all the hard work and keeping your eyes healthy, instead of paying someone in a storage unit who reads your order off the computer, goes and gets the lenses off the shelf and posts them to you.

I already pay the optician for my eye test which should be paying the staff etc so supplying the lenses on top should not incur much extra cost. Specially when its a major companies like Boots Opticians etc who would have central warehouses anyway. If they are subsidizing the eye tests to get you in the door then that their own business decision.

Many of the online places also don't stock the lenses they order them in so why can't shops do this as well? I don't expect the shop to keep everything in stock. If they will price match I am more than happy for them to order them in.
Ben G

6th Sep 12 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
In my professional opinion, DaySoft CLs are a load of rubbish. Hardly any of my/our patients wear them for that exact same reason.
As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. In saying that, just because something is the most expensive, it doesn't mean it's the very best, but if you pay for peanuts for contact lenses, you're not going to be getting top notch ones.

can you please tell me what you define as hard work?

for a 5 minute contact lense appointment, they charged me 12 quid.
for a 10 minute eye check up is was another 10 quid.

22 quid for 15 minutes work

service is always awful in costco aswell. spent 20 minutes waiting for someones help before. they were all 'busy', as in chatting to mates.
Eddie.2k

6th Sep 12 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used daysoft before i got my lasered, couldnt complain with either ways
mwg

6th Sep 12 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

4k for laser eye surgery when I had it done
boylers11

6th Sep 12 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
quote:

can you please tell me what you define as hard work?

for a 5 minute contact lense appointment, they charged me 12 quid.
for a 10 minute eye check up is was another 10 quid.

22 quid for 15 minutes work

service is always awful in costco aswell. spent 20 minutes waiting for someones help before. they were all 'busy', as in chatting to mates.

If you're not happy with the service, go somewhere else?

Our professional time works out at roughly £1 per minute.

How much do you pay for an MOT? £40? How long does that take?
How much do you pay for a 2 minute dental check? £20+? How much is a filling?

...you get my point.

All I'm saying if if you're not happy, go somewhere else who you deem worthy of the fees. All of my patients are more than happy with paying the going rate.

Ultimately, sight is the most valued of all the senses, surely it's worth paying to keep them healthy, no?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » buying contact lenses online. 24 database queries in 0.0138381 seconds