corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Exhaust backbox renewal - simple job?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Exhaust backbox renewal - simple job?
Billy Dean

User status: Offline
11th Sep 12 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a 1 inch hole in the backbox along one of the welding seals, and it's sounding like a sports exhaust, so it's time to replace it! My car is a Corsa B 1.4 16v.
I've seen an ebay special with 2 yr warranty for £40 delivered, so I may go for that.

I'll be using the existing exhaust clamp and hanging rubbers.

Is it a simple job once jacked up on axle stands?
Simply pull out and slide the new one in?
Would I need to layer some of that 'exhaust paste/cement' around the joint?

Any hints, tips and advice very much appreciated.

[Edited on 11-09-2012 by Billy Dean]
corsajay88

11th Sep 12 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is a simple job. take it off the rubbers. undo the clamp and it will slide off. it may need a bit of persuasion with a hammer. it is better to use a bit of exhaust paste also the old clamp will more than likely be rusted and probably break in some way while taking it off.

get new rubbers as well. may as well change them while you're there
Billy Dean

11th Sep 12 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the quick rundown.

I've read on some other forums that exhaust paste is a bit rubbish as it can harden and then crack away after a few weeks. They are recommending 'silicon' sealants instead. Does that hold some currency?
Daveskater
Premium Member

11th Sep 12 at 12:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get up to a motor factors and get new rubbers and a clamp. All in it'll be less than £2, so worth it for the minimal cost. The clamp will more than likely need replacing anyway as they get quite rusty over time. You could also get some exhaust paste while there, although maybe ask for the easiest one to use as the one I've got doesn't seem to do much

All in all it's an easy job, the only tools you'll need are a spanner or socket to take the clamp off, and maybe a hammer for a bit of persuasion as said.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Daveskater
Premium Member

11th Sep 12 at 12:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Billy Dean
I've read on some other forums that exhaust paste is a bit rubbish as it can harden and then crack away after a few weeks. They are recommending 'silicon' sealants instead. Does that hold some currency?
Could be a better idea. The paste I have dries up pretty quickly and falls off as you say. Not heard of a silicon sealant myself but ask a motor factors or proper motorists' shop (i.e. not Halfords) and they should be able to shed some more light.

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
dannyboy17

11th Sep 12 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its easy if the centre section hasn't rusted its self to the backbox
Daveskater
Premium Member

12th Sep 12 at 12:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's the problem I had with my Corsa C Ended up having to replace the centre section as well.

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures

New Poll