corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Difference between Lowering Springs & Coilovers?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Difference between Lowering Springs & Coilovers?
nathy_87

User status: Offline
13th Sep 12 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apart from the prices

Say if I got 30mm lowering springs and coilovers lowered to 30mm what would be the ride difference be like? I know you can lower coilovers lower than 30mm that was just an example. What other differences would there be also?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
harrisp

13th Sep 12 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On cheap coilovers probably just s harsher ride, on decent coilovers adjustability.
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Sep 12 at 19:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Normally if you go lower you need to go stiffer so the shock doesn't bottom out.

If you go lower on normal shocks you're also operating the platform outside of tolerance inside the damper.

Other differences may include the spring becoming unseated when you jack the car up if it doesn't unload to the same length as a standard spring. The coilovers will be less susceptible to this because they normally have a helper spring to take up the additional distance after unloading the main spring.
nathy_87

13th Sep 12 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So would you advise to get coilovers rather than lowering springs?
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Sep 12 at 20:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what you want to do, I've run both over the years depending on budget and how fussed I was whether it was comfortable or not.
nathy_87

13th Sep 12 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well it'd only be used for road use and go up the strip a few times.
big eck

13th Sep 12 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Springs are totally fine then mate. I had lowering springs only on my Astra vxr and it transformed the handling but I had an up rated anti roll bar as well which probably made the most difference.
Corsa_Sport21

13th Sep 12 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would say do a bit of digging on the Skoda forums to see whats decent and what to avoid.

Some cheap coilovers might be good on 1 car brand, but pretty un-bearable on another.

Robin
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 20:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I bought them, the bilstein coilovers I had on the BMW were amazing, best ride I've ever experienced in a lowered car.

However, as I didn't look after them, it very quickly became shit.

I've never had shocks and springs as good ride quality as decent coilovers.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Difference between Lowering Springs & Coilovers? 23 database queries in 0.0112970 seconds