corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Had card details stolen

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Had card details stolen
M2RTY

User status: Offline
17th Sep 12 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't use one of our cards very oftern, but had it on us on a night out in hanley after a wedding close by. Used the card in 1 bar to buy some drinks, was 1-2am, quite drunk, just over a week ago.

Had a phonecall off halifax fraud department today, card had flagged up in a HSS hire shop trying to make a £190 payment on it to hire some tools.

Card stopped, payment rejected, so very happy it didnt get too far, but I'm shocked that someone pulled a fast one on us.

Cant 100% prove it happened there, but besides the usual direct debits it gets used for nothing else. A load of us used cards so ive asked anyone else if they have had similar happen, as its 130 miles from home Ive never been in the bar before or plan to go back again!
noshua

17th Sep 12 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What bar?
M2RTY

17th Sep 12 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking Pink lounge or something, full of drag queens lol, was hammered like, only place we could get in as there was 10 lads 10 lasses
corsa-sxi

17th Sep 12 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive wondered how do banks flag a payment that is out of ordinary? its perfectly acceptable that you could have gone there to get some tools, its not something that you'd do often and if that's the criteria?
Gaz

17th Sep 12 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My thinking of this would be:
You are categorised and your payments will be monitored until you purchase something outside of your category, depending on how much out of the norm this is will depend on the acton taken. whether that is the store calling for an auth code or a complete failed transaction.

I had a flag on my card when I tried to buy jewellery years ago - I needed the store to call my bank and swap auth codes as well as I produce ID.
Lee_fr200

17th Sep 12 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They also might flag it up as its quite far away especially if you had used it in your area beforehand
adiohead

17th Sep 12 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sure you haven't used it at a shell garage? That's where my cards always get skimmed
corsa-sxi

17th Sep 12 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well I put in a 5 figure transaction on my card when buying a car, went straight through and didn't get a call! which is why I'm wondering how they figure it out?

[Edited on 17-09-2012 by corsa-sxi]
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
18th Sep 12 at 02:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HSS may also have a higher level of alert as tool hire is probably a fairly risky business.

Shame you can't pin it properly, although the transaction history should narrow it down. Would be nice if there are other cases of card fraud and the other victims also went to that bar.
RichR
Premium Member

18th Sep 12 at 08:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
Sure you haven't used it at a shell garage? That's where my cards always get skimmed

Pink is owned by John Deville AFAIK who owns 90% of the bars/pubs in and around Hanley so unless they have oen dodgy member of staff, I'd be surprised if it was from there
A2H GO

18th Sep 12 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Of all the places you could end up in at Hanley...pink

[Edited on 18-09-2012 by A2H GO]
M2RTY

18th Sep 12 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing else bought on the card anywhere, just direct debits come out. Cant prove it but they took card and put it in machine. Cant even remember having to pin, mayby just signed for the drinks. Sent a text around everyone there to tell them to keep an eye open

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Had card details stolen 23 database queries in 0.0155082 seconds