corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Plastering

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Plastering
Gary
Premium Member

User status: Offline
19th Oct 12 at 09:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you just taken holidays from work to train then?

At least you have another trade if you get bored of boats
RichR
Premium Member

19th Oct 12 at 09:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its Saturdays and Sundays and done a couple of evenings as well. They've let us go up after hours to practice in our bays. We shouldn't be doing our assessment for 2/3 weeks yet but we've all done quite well on the course bar one guy who just can't seem to get it at all!!
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

21st Oct 12 at 00:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just seen the pics in the other thread, i've never seen anything like it. I did 1000% Times better than that on my first ever plastering attempt. why the heck did they caulk the corners? can't get my head around the logic
AK

23rd Oct 12 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

because they didnt get a smooth crisp corner through plastering. Caulk hides it... but they cant even caulk neatly
RichR
Premium Member

23rd Oct 12 at 11:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Their reasoning was that the plaster would crack at the ceiling/wall joint so it needed caulking. The fact they were skimming (in parts) over existing plaster which hadn't cracked since 1966 when the house was built didn't seem to matter. Some bollocks about 5" joists not 6" blah blah blah.

Apparently, that was the best job we could ever have expected - despite the fact it started cracking and peeling off the walls within 2 days!!

That's why I'm doing this course, two of the tutors at the college came to assess the job for me for my case should it have gone to court
RichR
Premium Member

23rd Oct 12 at 11:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they didn't only caulk, some of the corners were radiused with plaster too; big 1"+ radii.
RichR
Premium Member

23rd Oct 12 at 11:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and it wasn't even about getting a smooth crisp corner, they finished the plaster short of the corner by 1-1.5" both from the ceiling and wall so the corners hadn't been skimmed at all
Nismo

23rd Oct 12 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I removed all my dado rails at the weekend, pulled some of the plasterboard away, so gonna be plastering the walls, was going to do the whole walls and repaint, but i think this will be so much work as i want to skim the artex too, so might just re-patch the missing bits then paper the hallway and stairs, also removed the skirting as I want to replace that.

bought the tools at the weekend, gonna give it all a go myself....... how hard can it be
Sam
Premium Member

23rd Oct 12 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate if I can do it then any fucker can
Dave

23rd Oct 12 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the rest of the wall is okay just patch it up with easi fill and sand smooth.

Nismo

24th Oct 12 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if i patch it up won't it show through if i decide to paint the walls?

dado rails removed, skirting and architrave

Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 09:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might get away with filling that but personally for painting I would skim it.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Nismo

24th Oct 12 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i have the tools and i've watched a few videos so will be giving it a go on saturday!
baza31

24th Oct 12 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plastering always seems easy till you actually start , then you wish you had just paid someone to do it. The amount that i waste I could probably pay for it doing

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll