corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » "Soft" redirect of URL

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author "Soft" redirect of URL
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   15th Oct 12 at 12:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure there's a technical term for this, but what is it?

What I mean is a URL that is essentially a duplicate of an existing url, the same way c20xe.co.uk and corsasport.co.uk are identical.

I have URL A and URL B, but right now B just redirects so when you typ www.b.com you get www.a.com/index.htm.

I want the URL to stay B the whole time.

What do I tell the internet gnomes to do for me?

Brett
Premium Member

15th Oct 12 at 13:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Setup a CNAME
Balling
Premium Member

15th Oct 12 at 13:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's the one! Cheers!

ed

16th Oct 12 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can force a sites main domain name using a conditional redirect in the domain names config file/.htaccess file depending on the server you're using. You can set this up as a permanent (301) redirect which is better in terms of SEO.
Dom

16th Oct 12 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Balling - Alternatively you could configure the second domain as an alias (essentially the same as the www. subdomain); it'd then serve the one set of files to both (or more) domains.

quote:
Originally posted by ed
You can force a sites main domain name using a conditional redirect in the domain names config file/.htaccess file depending on the server you're using. You can set this up as a permanent (301) redirect which is better in terms of SEO.

I'm far from a SEO guru and granted there are pro's and con's with both methods but i can't see there being any difference between a 301 and CNAME redirects. Be interesting to hear if there are differences to SEO using either method though....
Balling
Premium Member

16th Oct 12 at 11:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Balling - Alternatively you could configure the second domain as an alias (essentially the same as the www. subdomain); it'd then serve the one set of files to both (or more) domains.
Quick google shows 301 and CNAME should be equals in terms of SEO.

Dom, any benefit from setting up a domain alias in stead of CNAME?

Dom

16th Oct 12 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Quick google shows 301 and CNAME should be equals in terms of SEO.

Dom, any benefit from setting up a domain alias in stead of CNAME?

Unless CNAME (or DNS records; not sure if multiple A-records affect rankings, doubt it otherwise shared hosting would screw that completely) affects the SEO then not really. Although you obviously have web server control of the hostname and depending on what web server you're using, you could start doing some 'funky' things based on that.

Only worry otherwise is if you're wanting individual domain analytics, otherwise in most instances it'll get combined.
ed

16th Oct 12 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was just going on what Google told me to do in their documentation
Dom

16th Oct 12 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I was just going on what Google told me to do in their documentation

I did have a ganders at lunch but couldn't spot anything official from Google; if you come across it again, do you mind posting it?
ed

17th Oct 12 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=139066
DaveyLC

18th Oct 12 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can do this with DNS records (if you have access) or you can be cheeky and use a redirect header and just push all of the url query data into the redirect request
Dom

18th Oct 12 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
You can do this with DNS records (if you have access) or you can be cheeky and use a redirect header and just push all of the url query data into the redirect request

You mean mod_rewrite?

New Poll