corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Private medical insurance

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Private medical insurance
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
22nd Nov 12 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who here has this, and do you think it is worth having?
James

22nd Nov 12 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had it for about 6 years now. I've used it once.

The one time I did use it, it was really worth having.

I've always had it through work, if I had to pay for it, I would probably think twice, depending on cost.
Colin

22nd Nov 12 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got a Bupa policy. Never used it but it gets you ahead of waiting lists and a better service apparently.
Rob_Quads

23rd Nov 12 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got it through work and used it a few times for pysio etc.
Would I pay for it, I am not sure. That said the few people at work I know that have been seriously ill it really has helped them i.e. the sort of thing you just could not afford if you put a bit away yourself instead
whitter45

23rd Nov 12 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Ive got a Bupa policy. Never used it but it gets you ahead of waiting lists and a better service apparently.

if its urgent whether your BUPA or not BUPA you get the same response time

Recent expereince from a few work mates suggest that NHS service has been much better than BUPA

I have BUPA through work but never needed to use it - not sure I would have it if work did not contribute to it
Rob_Quads

23rd Nov 12 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unfortunately there is a big difference to what most people would expect 'urgent' to be and that the NHS count. Unless its life-threatening your going on a waiting list on the NHS generally
Lee_fr200

23rd Nov 12 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had it since I was little and I've never used it!

BUT my dad has used his a few times and not had any waiting times so I recommend it
Dan
Premium Member

24th Nov 12 at 00:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have always had it. My dad has always paid for the pair of us.

However after dad recently needing to use it, he found he got better care and quicker times from the NHS in the end. So he's now cancelled both our policies.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Graeme
Premium Member

24th Nov 12 at 17:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have it but it costs a lot as i previously broke my back.

Had it when I did and I was only in hospital 6 weeks of private as they made me custom body braces to hold me together unlike nhs which I would of been in a out 3-4 months.

It's all a risk if your going to use it but the care can be a lot better.
mattk

25th Nov 12 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

`Kin hell, how did you do your back?
Graeme
Premium Member

25th Nov 12 at 11:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Motorbike crash. Going round a corner at about 40. Hot a huge pile of mud and came off. The issue was the tree in the way which destroyed 3 vertebrae and 3ribs. Have about 70% feeling in one leg now.
MarkM

25th Nov 12 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got Bupa. It is provided by work by way of a salary sacrifice deal. I've used it once in three years to get some physio on my ankle when I ruptured ligaments playing football.

It doesn't cost much really and is worth happening god forbid something happened. Ended up having £450 worth of physio on my ankle.
Tommy L

25th Nov 12 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got mine through work. I've never used it but a few people have and it's def worth it.

With ours we also get £200 for dentist bills a year and that includes check ups, hygienist etc not proper work.
Toby
Premium Member

25th Nov 12 at 15:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've probably experienced about 40ks worth of insurance work for numerous things and would say it was value for money though you may use it more as its there e.g. had an emergency operation on my finger when i was younger due to an ice skating accident, the NHS repeaired it but didn't do a brilliant job, I then snapped the tendon playing rugby so went in to a Nuffield hospital, not only did they clean up what the NHS dud but also reattached the tendon so it won't snap again. My point being having to wait for the NHS etc to sort it would have been hassle so probably wouldnt have done it

[Edited on 25-11-2012 by Toby]
Sam
Premium Member

26th Nov 12 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
We have always had it. My dad has always paid for the pair of us.

However after dad recently needing to use it, he found he got better care and quicker times from the NHS in the end. So he's now cancelled both our policies.

I would say that is an issue to do with the hospital he went to rather than down to his insurance.

I've found out in the course of my research that you can actually get policies that will give you cashback if you decide to go NHS instead of using a private hospital.
Rob_Quads

26th Nov 12 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah ours has that with PruHealth. If you decide to have it on NHS then you get money for each night etc

New Poll