corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Help with velux windows please

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help with velux windows please
baza31

User status: Offline
23rd Nov 12 at 07:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok seen some on eBay new but off a chap . What do I need to take into account as there seems to be alot of models. Do I just need the correct length and size or are the different depths etc . Any advice of people who have fitted would be appreciated
Dave

23rd Nov 12 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are different types but they are appearance differences more than anything. There is the normal type and a lower profile 'heritage' one designed to look like older rooflights.

You'll need to get the correct flashing kit for your roof covering, inside is taken care if by linings that fit into a groove in the window. You'll have to make these yourself though.
Gary
Premium Member

23rd Nov 12 at 10:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your gonna start putting holes in your roof then fit a couple of dormers instead. Looks loads better than a velux. Plus when it rains velux windows are noisey as fuck!
3CorsaMeal

23rd Nov 12 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just spec a length and width at work, usually only seem to use about 3 sizes, M06 seems the most popular i use
sc0ott

23rd Nov 12 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I prefer velux windows over dormers.

Weve fitted ones which open up and the bottom window acted as a barrier. They were cool but expensive.
baza31

23rd Nov 12 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To fit and buy four velux off a roofer its £1500 . to fit a dormer it's 10k plus I would need planning . Looks like I need m04 anyhow. One on eBay so will keep my eyes on it
Dave

23rd Nov 12 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are pretty easy to fit yourself, they come with detailed instructions.

You could save quite a bit by fitting the windows and getting a roofer to come after and fit the flashing kit, that's the vital bit really.
Gary
Premium Member

23rd Nov 12 at 16:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

10k for a dormer! Its only a bit of timber!

What about putting a window in the wall? loads cheaper and could get a massive window
Dave

23rd Nov 12 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's more than you think to a dormer, especially when you are cutting into an existing roof. You normally have to cut through the purlins so obviously you have to put the strength back in somewhere.
Gary
Premium Member

23rd Nov 12 at 19:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No nails. Job done
baza31

23rd Nov 12 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
No nails. Job done

Worst thing is I know your being half serious.

I thought about putting one in gable end but it's about 40 foot up and I can't be arsed running out of steam.

Mad Moe

24th Nov 12 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could consider a GRP Dorma
Bonney

24th Nov 12 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fitting a dormer is a massive ball ache, Theres all the stripping of the old roof, then the new woodwork to go in for all the beams and supports then the truss work! After all that theen its the replacing of the roof material cladding, guttering if needed, lead work etc. So 10k is a fair price!

There for the velux is the better option with it been cheaper and less hastle to do than the dormer,

New Poll