corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » steering

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author steering
john_redtop

User status: Offline
5th Jan 13 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all car goes for test next week so been doing some checks I've noticed when i was checking the front wheel bearing and bottom ball joint(holding top/bottom and both sides of wheel) that there is play on both sides with my hand at ether side of the wheel it don't look like the bottom ball joints plus these were done 8 month ago along with tracker rod ends it looks like the tracker arm on both sides moves as i push/pull the wheels also if i turn the steering wheel slightly side to side it has a little play and knocks just as it turns the wheels . does this sound like the steering rack is knackered or is there out that could need a tighten up car is a corsa b with EPS fitted with a redtop

if the rack needs changing is it doable with the engine in or would it have to come out?

Cheers
brass_pott

6th Jan 13 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it isn't excessive then it could just be slight play in the inner rack and advisory on mot :-)
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Jan 13 at 05:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The rack ends do go but its more common to see that on a C than a B.

Rack change on an EPS B is fairly easy, no pipes to get in the way. I normally take the lower gearbox mount off and rock the engine forward a bit.

Once its off at each end, bolt on the column, four on the bulkhead and wiggle it out.
john_redtop

7th Jan 13 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers lads I'm gonna send it for test fingers crossed it don't need doing
corsajay88

7th Jan 13 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting the rack out is easy. As ian said but take one of the track rods off. Then gives you enough room to move the rack enough to get the other side out or can take both trackrods off. This gives you more than enough room to manouver it out
john_redtop

19th Jan 13 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Passed its test with advisory on steering rack will be changing it once weather is a bit better

New Poll