corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Polished Bliss details a Formula 1 car...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Polished Bliss details a Formula 1 car...
BluKoo

User status: Offline
   25th Jan 13 at 01:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As usual, all pictures and text are lifted from detailing world.
Also its not me doing the work. Its my brother, so I can't answer any detailing questions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This detail was carried out over 2 years ago now but due to us wanting to wait and get final pictures of the car in the Client's new house (which was being built at the time) and then me completely forgetting about it resulted in it being delayed until now

When I got the call from the Client saying he was standing watching his new Jordan being delivered off a trailer I initially wondered what he was buying a Honda Civic for, thinking he meant one of these...

But no, what he meant was one of these!

Taken from the website it was bought from:

"2001 JORDAN - EJ 11 - CHASSIS NO: EJ 11 / 6

This car, one of only seven built. It is a genuine race car and NOT a display car. It has been in a private collection for many years.

It will be sold as a rolling chassis, without engine, gearbox internals and wiring loom.
All works Honda engines were returned to the factory at the end of the season.

It could be adapted to race (Euro Boss Series etc) or used as a static display/ show car.

This car is fitted with Titanium Fabricated uprights, Brembo Carbon brakes and calipers, radiators, wishbones and Jordan chassis plate. The seat is molded for Heinz-Harald Frentzen.

EJ 11 cars were raced by Heinz–Harald Frentzen,( who was replaced half way through the 2001 season by Juan Alesi) and by Jarno Truli. The test driver was Ricardo Zonta.

Quite a nice showpiece for your new garage I'm sure you'll agree :doublesho

Whilst the site of an F1 car in your garage looks amazing, the Client wanted it to look its best but at the same time retain its battle scars and sign of racing so with this in mind I got to work...

A few before pictures to begin with, showing a low level of dirt and dust:

I gave the car a thorough QD to clean all the surfaces up and then took some paint readings just to make sure there was actually enough paint to polish in the first place:

Starting with a finishing pad and some Menzerna 85RD (basically one of the least aggressive combinations available) I started polishing at 1200/1500rpms:

I was hoping for a slight improvement but due to the paint being super soft the correction achieved was pretty damn good to be fair and removal was 1-2 microns if that (many times the gauge didn't give different readings before and after polishing at all):

With the polishing method and products settled on, I began to carefully work my way round the car, being extra careful of where I put my feet as it could be so easy to stand on or catch the front wing or diffuser etc - it felt like an extremely fragile thing to work on so concentration was 100% at all times!

Carbon Weave showing through the paint:

Checking the finish with the 3M Sun Gun:

I had alot more process pictures taken but due to a laptop meltdown last year I lost alot of pictures but to be honest I'm just glad I still have as many as I do!

Once Polishing was done the paintwork was given a coat of Swissvax Crystal Rock:

The wheels were given a going over with Werkstat Prime Strong:

And then fast forward 2 years to this afternoon where I took some final pictures of the car sat in its new surroundings - you'll notice the different garage lighting really shows off the true colour of the car, it's more of a fluorescent yellow that you never really saw even on the Television or in many magazine pictures:

Ingrained dirt left intentionally on the rear wing:

Cockpit left as it was delivered:

The rubbish masking that you don't see up close on TV

I hope you enjoyed something a bit different, it was certainly fun to do!

Thanks for looking.
Ben G

25th Jan 13 at 04:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

remember you posting about this before.

I know leaving the blemishes was intentional, but imo spoils the car. Especially the flaked off paint (if thats what it is, i'm on my phone).
corsadonk
Premium Member

25th Jan 13 at 06:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Needs a engine.
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Jan 13 at 08:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very cool. I was watching a cosworth F1 engine on eBay not long ago... went for about 30k iirc

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BarnshaW

25th Jan 13 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for once this makes sense, the fact it is most likely only going to be on exhibition and not used makes this worthwhile to me, nice job.
Balling
Premium Member

25th Jan 13 at 08:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Must have been a fun job.

BluKoo

25th Jan 13 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

I know leaving the blemishes was intentional, but imo spoils the car. Especially the flaked off paint (if thats what it is, i'm on my phone).

Yeah, it is flaked paint. There are also a couple of cracks in the carbon, but I think it's right to leave it. It adds character to the car and show's it's not just a show piece. It's part of the history of the car.

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Very cool. I was watching a cosworth F1 engine on eBay not long ago... went for about 30k iirc

If I remember correctly my cousin got both his Arrows F1 engines for about £40k.
baza31

25th Jan 13 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hes won at life, what does he do
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Jan 13 at 11:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BluKoo
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

Yeah, it is flaked paint. There are also a couple of cracks in the carbon, but I think it's right to leave it. It adds character to the car and show's it's not just a show piece. It's part of the history of the car.

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T

If I remember correctly my cousin got both his Arrows F1 engines for about £40k.

Bargain!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
mwg

25th Jan 13 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I think you either clean the whole car inside and out, paint up any flaking paint and make it immaculate. Or you leave the whole thing dirty and do nothing with it. Looks odd the paint being so clean but then the interior is dirty with bits of paint flaking off
kennySRi

25th Jan 13 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can imagine it being a touch decision but i would of made it 100% perfect. If it was some legendary car which was last used in a crash and killed someone then fair enough, but otherwise i would make it perfect.

Other than that i bet it was a very cool car to work on. Any pics of the rest of the collection or garage?
BluKoo

25th Jan 13 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here ya go...

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=639283&highlight=1&pid=8484721#pid8484721
kennySRi

25th Jan 13 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just a little bit jealous
BluKoo

25th Jan 13 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kennySRi
Just a little bit jealous

I know. He's got the perfect toys

He also owns this...

This...

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=199374

And this...

Which is also getting detailed and then suspended from the roof of his hanger
3CorsaMeal

25th Jan 13 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not read the text. But have you turned a civic into an F1 car? As thats pretty impressive.
Whittie

25th Jan 13 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great work, a mate owns on, he's sticking some kind of bike engine in his
bigron1988

25th Jan 13 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
Not read the text. But have you turned a civic into an F1 car? As thats pretty impressive.

BluKoo

25th Jan 13 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
Great work, a mate owns on, he's sticking some kind of bike engine in his

I'd love to have something like that. I'd definitely be taking it on the road at least once just for the looks it'd get
jrdn7

25th Jan 13 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BluKoo you must have some family, a brother who details cars to such a standard he does F1 cars and a cousin who owns/owned an F1 car.
nibnob21
Premium Member

25th Jan 13 at 23:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some things about detailing I completely get and understand why people pay for it...

but seriously...

why on earth would you get a Land Rover Defender detailed? It's a fucking Land Rover! The detail should be mud, not polish!

MX5 Project Thread
BluKoo

26th Jan 13 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jrdn7
BluKoo you must have some family, a brother who details cars to such a standard he does F1 cars and a cousin who owns/owned an F1 car.

Yeah, I suppose we are an interesting bunch. Even got a professional footballer in the family. Well, an ex footballer...

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Polished Bliss details a Formula 1 car... 24 database queries in 0.0139019 seconds