corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » X20XEV engine build

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author X20XEV engine build
davegreen
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th Feb 13 at 16:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

here are some photos of my x20xev rebuild
[img][/img]
the reason for the rebuild, iasa piston failure, over board and oil jets in wrong place!

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
drilling new block and fitting oil spray jets into main bearings 2,3,4,5 to give good under piston cooling and lube.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
the crank before and after lightening and balancing. also had flywheel and clutch done as a complete unit.

[img][/img]
arp main bearing bolts, acl bearings, oil ways for balancer shafts blocked off.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
cosworth 12.5:1 cr pistons from a c20xe 87mm saenz con rods arp bolts, 160grams lighter than standard and all with in 0.002 grams of each other.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
block in the corsa using mtech r/h mount, alternator and mounts from a 20se lump.
fazza

14th Feb 13 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

without sounding like a knob...

doing what you have done to the crank? polished the bits? what will that do?

any gains from it?
davegreen
Premium Member

14th Feb 13 at 21:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its only 5kgs lighter than standard but its balanced now so spins up more freely thus reducing drag and making the engine smoother as it revs out to 7500rpm now. only small gains in terms of power but better life of all componants. cost me £300 to have the crank, flywheel and clutch balanced.
tobyc20xe

16th Feb 13 at 06:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

keep it comeing dave
davegreen
Premium Member

16th Feb 13 at 06:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
new coscast head, ported and polished matched to the manifolds. found gm head wasnt cast as well, combustion chambers not on centre with the bores causing the piston crowns to touch on one side as there 0.6mm of protution from the block now its been skimed back. all combustion chambers are matched to 44ml giving a 12.2:1 cr.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
used kent titainium spring caps due to the risk of standard ones shatering over 7000rpm, genuine stem seals, found that burger king straws are just the right size to protect the seal on the valve when fitting.
cant find a photo of that bit.

[Edited on 17-02-2013 by davegreen]
davegreen
Premium Member

17th Feb 13 at 09:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
fitted jenvey dth 45mm bodies, used a metal plate to keep them in line as they are in pairs and matched to the head with a phenolic inlet gasket. made my own throttle cable mount and added second spring to give better pedal feel. tapped into number 3 throttle for brake servo vacumm not the best way but it works.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
used z20let metal head gasket and oem head bolts as they are the same on all these engines, xev, let, leh/r.

[img][/img]
dialed in the cams using lift at tdc method this is with dbilas pullies and newman cams. ive now swapped to kent cams and pullies as the newman cams started picking up an twisting after only 2000miles and the kent pullies are lighter and easier to adjust than the dbilas ones but cant be used with camshaft sensor.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
lexmaul 4/2/1 manifold ported and matched to the head, genuine exhaust gasket, metal type as its got larger ports than the composite fiber type. 60mm trumpets, piper cross filter socks due to limited space and me not wanting to cut bulk head away. z20leh blue injectors with 3.3bar fuel pressure from walbro in tank pump via sytec fpr. very little clearance between cam lobes and head/cam cover. on gm cast head flashing, and rough casting needs removing to allow them to spin. valve stems re machined so only stand out 12.2mm into the spring area or seals get damaged at full lift.
end result, 226bhp @ 7052rpm & 172Lbft @ 6090rpm.
tobyc20xe

3rd Apr 13 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Amazing work and power dave . The best XEV engine i know of...hats off to you,can't wait to see this in person i bet it sounds like war when you boot it

[Edited on 03-04-2013 by tobyc20xe]
Robin
Premium Member

3rd Apr 13 at 12:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decent power that
davegreen
Premium Member

4th Apr 13 at 06:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im happy with it and the way it sounds!
thanks for the complements guys!

[Edited on 04-04-2013 by davegreen]
SteveoBC
Premium Member

4th Apr 13 at 07:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

needs vids asap, impressive work
tobyc20xe

4th Apr 13 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SteveoBC

Yes dave some videos are a must
M Sutton

4th Apr 13 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very impressive build! Bet it goes well!!
davegreen
Premium Member

5th Apr 13 at 05:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I dont have a video camera.
anybody with one is welcome to take some vids at some point. going to mk meet in it on sunday.
tobyc20xe

5th Apr 13 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by davegreen
quote:

I dont have a video camera.
anybody with one is welcome to take some vids at some point. going to mk meet in it on sunday.

Get a friend to sin in with a half desent phone bud
davegreen
Premium Member

5th Apr 13 at 19:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

none of my mates who live local are in to cars, just use them for transport a - b. they realy dont understand why i spend so much time and money on my cars.
tobyc20xe

5th Apr 13 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
none of my mates who live local are in to cars, just use them for transport a - b. they realy dont understand why i spend so much time and money on my cars.

I can understand this...i get it from my lass all the time
davegreen
Premium Member

5th Apr 13 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tobyc20xe
quote:

my bird hates this corsa as its to loud!
she realy dont like cars, or understand them at all. 'my cars making a funny knocking noise and smells hot and like burning rubber' i checked oil and water, 3litres of coolant and 3.5litres of oil later!! its a x16xel zafira!! 'that red lights gone out on the dash now'
she is good in bed though so i'll forgive her!
tobyc20xe

5th Apr 13 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tobyc20xe
quote:

my bird hates this corsa as its to loud!
she realy dont like cars, or understand them at all. 'my cars making a funny knocking noise and smells hot and like burning rubber' i checked oil and water, 3litres of coolant and 3.5litres of oil later!! its a x16xel zafira!! 'that red lights gone out on the dash now'
she is good in bed though so i'll forgive her!

Oohh dave words fail me,can't say am shocked though sarah is just as bad tbh. her car has a brake pad sesors on it and ovs you get a nice noice when there is nothing left on the pads,i big fucking red light comes on the dash saying check brakes,pads low ect! Turns out she didn't understand what that ment till she crashed the car because she had to brakes! I shouldn't laff but know one was hurt so it's pritty funny tbh.
davegreen
Premium Member

6th Apr 13 at 05:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think everybody should be made to pass basic car maintenance classes before being allowed to even hold a set of car keys, let alone drive one!
corsadonk
Premium Member

6th Apr 13 at 07:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't know you get a Coscast XEV.
davegreen
Premium Member

6th Apr 13 at 20:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some of the z20let/h/r engines have coscast heads too.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » X20XEV engine build 24 database queries in 0.0225179 seconds