corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Snow tyres on a Corsa C Sxi?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Snow tyres on a Corsa C Sxi?
Rob_Corsa

User status: Offline
   17th Feb 13 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Due to the amount of snow we get my way and the fact that my Corsa is pretty poor in the snow compared to other cars I've had(Currently got Continentals on the front with lots of tread), I'm considering getting a spare set of wheels with some Vredestein Snowtrac 3's fitted just to be used Dec-March.

Does anyone else run winter tyres?

I'd like to know what kind of improvment I'd see in the snow because its looking at costing me £170 for 2 tyres, £30 to have them fitted and either £30 for some Steel Wheels or £100 ish for some badly scrapped Sxi Alloys.

Rob
Ben G

17th Feb 13 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it all depends on your personal situation, how you drive and whether you want to risk it. winter tyres won't stop other people crashing into you, but will help with stopping distances.

i've never had any need for winter tyres in the 7 years i've been driving. neither has any of my family. instead, i carry a shovel around to dig myself out if i get stuck. obviously a lot of people are too lazy to do this, and would rather rev the shit out of their engine and spin the wheels.

[Edited on 17-02-2013 by Ben G]
Dave

17th Feb 13 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They definitely work better than normal tyres, that's for sure. Whether you need them though depends entirely on your circumstances. Round here the main roads tend to be kept clear so as long as you use a bit of common sense you can still get around. The more remote your location though or if you are likely to need to drive on ungritted roads then obviously winters have their appeal.

What you should probably door is mock people who fit winter tyres then destroy one of your wheels though.
Rob_Corsa

17th Feb 13 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its more about being able to get up hills round here. There's so many hills and and we get a lot of snow. Only last wednesday I barely managed to get home from work due to almost coming to a complete stop on what I'd consider to be quite a minor incline(road was white over and most cars were struggling, think the Zafira behind actually came to a complete standstill).

In the 19 years I've been driving I've had to abandon my car a good few times due to not being able to make it up a hill somehwere.

I just dont want to spend all that money unless I'm going to see a significant improvement.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

17th Feb 13 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It would be worth it then.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
corsadonk
Premium Member

17th Feb 13 at 12:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a look a some part worn tyres, or budgets still perform miles better than normal tyres.
RichR
Premium Member

17th Feb 13 at 13:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where in Derbyshire are you?
deano87

17th Feb 13 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think is, regardless of cost, you will always question whether it is worth it. It has no benefit in money terms, only your sanity and lifestyle.

If you have the cash and think it will improve things, do it. If you're doing it because you think you need to and can't really afford to. Don't.
Rob_Corsa

17th Feb 13 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
Where in Derbyshire are you?

Wirksworth
CorsAsh

17th Feb 13 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's law to have winter tyres over here due to the weather. Regards the cost of an extra set of tyres, you can always think that it'll take twice as long to go through a set as before, and if the winter tyres stop you sliding off the road and into a ditch in bad wether, it's odds on they'll have paid for themselves.

Given your situation I'd say go for it.
matty101

18th Feb 13 at 00:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've got goodyear ultra grip 8+ 's on the front of my combo c van. absolutly great, this is the second pair i have had and when these are worn i'll get some more.

deffinatly dont bother with part worn though if its snow your wanting them for, or get some chains or snow socks. i carry chains in the back all the time, after you have used them a few times you can get them on and off pritty quick, but you will get cold and mucky.

used my chains in june last year, when i got stuck in a wet field in the middle on know where lol

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Snow tyres on a Corsa C Sxi? 24 database queries in 0.0096509 seconds