corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » The Little Black Box...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Little Black Box...
Norcy91

User status: Offline
25th Feb 13 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My insurance is due on the Cooper S in the next 2 weeks, and I was on the Admiral website trying to beat their own renewal price they gave me, when I noticed their 'Little Box' Policies. I had a little search and noticed that Bell, a partner company of Admiral also used these black boxes, and will not provide insurance unless it is fitted to the car! Do we reckon that these are slowly coming in to most companies and will soon be compulsory to be able to insure your car?

I hope not!
Ben G

25th Feb 13 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

more than likely.

citroen are fitting them to c1's as standard

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=27152

they will only be on new cars though, probably. government won't be able to force older car owners to get it retro-fitted, although they'll more than likely just increase VED and insurance costs will spiral.
BarnshaW

25th Feb 13 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i was confused the other day out of 140 companies only one wanted the black box, no biggy
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Feb 13 at 21:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely people insured with these boxes will just spend a vast proportion of their policy parked in their garage, shed, kitchen drawer?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Norcy91

25th Feb 13 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, but surely the other companies will latch on to the fact that they can install these boxes, then when anyone goes slightly over the speed limit, they can penalise them. The government will no doubt start giving grants to insurance companies who are will to make the black boxes compulsory, and the rest will eventually follow.
Aerox-lad

25th Feb 13 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think if these become vastly popular over many insurance companies and it be compulsory to have these boxes fitted. What impact will it have on car makers especially the 'sporty' cars. Absolutely no point having a fastish car if you can't use it. May as well get a diesel...
Norcy91

25th Feb 13 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Aerox-lad
I think if these become vastly popular over many insurance companies and it be compulsory to have these boxes fitted. What impact will it have on car makers especially the 'sporty' cars. Absolutely no point having a fastish car if you can't use it. May as well get a diesel...

My point exactly. And surely it eliminates the possibility of using your everyday car on track as well!?
Ben G

25th Feb 13 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the government will never make it compulsory imo.

imagine how much lost revenue they'd lose from not dishing out speeding fines.
GB123
Premium Member

25th Feb 13 at 21:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Because all diesels are dog slow
daymoon
Premium Member

25th Feb 13 at 21:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am with Bell. I tried to do what you tried - beat their own quote.

When I rung them they said all new policies require a GPS box... So I swiftly said no and paid their quote.

Few months after that my mate insured his car with Bell and nothing has been said about the GPS box :/
Ben G

25th Feb 13 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why would you not just tell them to go fuck themselves?
BeetleGav

25th Feb 13 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just moved from elephant back to admiral and they never mentioned anything about a black box?
tom130691
Premium Member

25th Feb 13 at 22:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not a chance of me fitting one,

classic car companies wont ever bother, so if others do go crazy with them to the retro cars

[Edited on 25-02-2013 by tom130691]
Norcy91

25th Feb 13 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BeetleGav
I just moved from elephant back to admiral and they never mentioned anything about a black box?

Do Elephant say you need to have one fitted as well? I was going to use a quote from them against Admiral to get my renewal price down
Aerox-lad

25th Feb 13 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GB123
quote:

Because all diesels are dog slow

Not saying that at all. Just on the whole far more economical. Let's face it though a lot of the time people will often choose a diesel otes a petrol because of it being more economical.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » The Little Black Box... 24 database queries in 0.0144429 seconds