corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Leather

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Leather
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
28th Feb 13 at 18:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's everybody's opinion on a leather interior in a car, perhaps specifically in a performance car?

I never liked the Impreza interior, it always looked like horrible seat covers from Halfords in the pictures... but after buying one and sitting in one, it's actually not that bad! The suede on the front seats feels/looks quality, and the blue isn't quite as pale as I'd seen it in some washed out photographs.

Saying that, I'd always had it in my mind to consider a leather retrim at somepoint (big $$) or find another spec Scooby with leather seats/doorcards.

Today I noticed a for sale ad in another forum for leather seats and doorcards from a Spec D STi as below:

The breaker who's selling it want's £450 for the lot... and I've seen the regular STi interior sell for £250 before, so not a bad purchase really.

I'm not fussed for the short term, got more important things to throw my car money at - but once I've got performance and exterior aesthetics arranged, I may keep an eye out for a Spec D interior like the one pictured above and make the change.

Thing is... I've never actually had a leather interior in a car before. I was speaking to a fellow Impreza owner at a meet quite recently and he had a WRX wagon with leather, and he hated it - said he was sliding around all over the place on track days and during sprited drives. My suggestion to buy leather overalls didn't go down too well

Is Leather that bad when you're going for a hoot?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
big eck

28th Feb 13 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love it and it looks classy. My R32 golf was full heated leather and it was sooooo comfy but reeked class imo.
Ben G

28th Feb 13 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

imo leather is fantastic as it's easy to keep clean and always looks more expensive than a cloth seat. downsides are when it gets ripped/worn/saggy, it starts to look a bit shite.

that impreza leather interior looks really good, although the seats you have now are also nice.

the leather can be slidey if you don't have decent bolsters holding you in. mine are pretty pants, although the seatbelt/centre console/doorcard holds me in well enough
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 18:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know the WRX wagon ones were heated, but not sure about these Spec D ones. Would be nice if so, can't imagine it's hard to bodge in as an install.

What I'm cautious of is trying to make the car feel more classy and luxurious than it actually is. It's a practical 5-door first and foremost , then it's a performance car, then it's comfort/luxury.

Leather or no leather, it'll still have a dash which looks like it belongs in a Kia and it'll still rattle and bang over bumps BMW this is not.

Leather looks ace when all cleaned up though, and I like the smell of it...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Jambo

28th Feb 13 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

leather is far nicer than cloth is most cases.

The downside is it shows its age more than cloth. Upside is you can spil stuff on it and it wipes up clean.

Leather is great
BarnshaW

28th Feb 13 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, its not a comfy cruiser, the standard sti seats are decent, they are lighter and they are traditional with the sti with the blue material and logos. Spend the money on something to make it even faster!
3CorsaMeal

28th Feb 13 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Leather is the best.
taylorboosh

28th Feb 13 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

+1 on leather
Corsa_Sport21

28th Feb 13 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Leather in a Subaru is a no no for me. Dosn't fit in with the style and purpose of the car. The thought of sliding about while attacking corners at full pelt would put me off.
Ben J

28th Feb 13 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above.
djgritt
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 19:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Full Leather Recaros in my Vectra, much much nicer than the Standard Half Leather offering, so I'm glad someone stumped up the cash for them when new!

They were pretty supportive when I used it on Track, but then they do have fairly large Bolsters all round which helps.

Also, heated and so, so comfy!
BluKoo

28th Feb 13 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's only 1 car in the family without leather seats.
Not a fan of cloth seats. Just make a car look cheap.
Paul W
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 21:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Leather all the way for me. Couldn't give a fuck if it was a maserati/lambo/scooby/corsa/micra

Rio Verde Bagged More Door Project
Corsa_Sport21

28th Feb 13 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't mind leather, its a nice touch and adds a bit of class depending on the car its in.

But imo, it shouldn't be anywhere near Subaru's or Evo's.
BeetleGav

28th Feb 13 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My leather seats hold me in very well because they have decent bolsters.
Had perfectly flat vinyl seats in the beetle. Slid all over the place with them haha
Rich H

28th Feb 13 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never been impressed with the leather in Impreza's tbh, so I personally wouldn't bother.

If you do though, make sure it comes out of a car that hasn't been smoked in!
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 23:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im glad I upgraded mine from cloth to full leather!

so much easier to clean and looks far better
AndyCorsaSport

28th Feb 13 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I say no for Impreza, yes on some cars, usually prefer half leathers instead of full.
corsasportsam

28th Feb 13 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

leather all the way...
Kyle T
Premium Member

1st Mar 13 at 12:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems CS has been split!

I agree with both sides to the argument, I think leather is much nicer than cloth but it doesn't seem at home in a Scooby.

As I said, it wasn't a short-term plan anyway just food for thought when I run out of other jobs to do.

If I can get a house with more drivespace I'll probably buy a diesel barge anyway so I can get my leather fix from that, and my Scooby can stay in the garage until we get a nice weekend

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Mar 13 at 23:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm possible opportunity for a straight swap of interiors with somebody with the Spec D leather

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
ChazSXi

8th Mar 13 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do it, had leather in my scoob wagon. Certainly made the interior feel not quite so cheap!
CORSA NUT

8th Mar 13 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heated Leather in a WRX SL wagon? Yes

In an STI? No way. Leather is far too slippy slidey (what wife calls it ) for it. Although I like the RB320 interior.
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Mar 13 at 23:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Sti spec D letter isn't heated, but I know what you mean.

It does look nice though if I went for it and didn't like it, I could potentially sell it on and rebuy a cloth interior at a profit I guess

[Edited on 08-03-2013 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Leather 24 database queries in 0.0225179 seconds