corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » How not to join a motorway

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How not to join a motorway
Bonney

User status: Offline
3rd Mar 13 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sadily I think the lorry driver may get the blame for it, or even go 50/50. If you look at lane 2 from the moment you see the car appear, to the moment they both stop you can see there is plenty of time and space for him to move over and let him in.

On the other hand the highway code says that you must treat sliproads as a give way and give way to vehicles that are already on the motorway. Bit of a difficult one to point the blame if you look closer into it.

I have nearly had this happen to me in the truck, you cant see that corner very well and the mirrors that allow you to see are very deceiving, make things look further away than they actually are.
Nick-S

3rd Mar 13 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
i also get annoyed when people try to join motorways at ridiculous speeds.

i did pass plus which taught me a lot more than i ever learned in my lessons.

Tow a trailer, you'll learn even more.

I actually like it when people join fast and get the hell out of the way. Sitting alongside expecting you to move over is more annoying and dangerous.

If I'm doing a constant speed and not overtaking I shouldn't have to change lane just because someone joining can't decide whether to slot in behind or in front.
Couldn't agree more. People who dont get there foot down when joining the motorway realy wind me up. They cause you to slow down and they they speed up after they have cut you up!!
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Mar 13 at 13:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of the biggest things that angers me on the road that, people ambling on a motorway slip road at 45-50mph.
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Mar 13 at 13:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bonney
Sadily I think the lorry driver may get the blame for it, or even go 50/50. If you look at lane 2 from the moment you see the car appear, to the moment they both stop you can see there is plenty of time and space for him to move over and let him in.

On the other hand the highway code says that you must treat sliproads as a give way and give way to vehicles that are already on the motorway. Bit of a difficult one to point the blame if you look closer into it.

I have nearly had this happen to me in the truck, you cant see that corner very well and the mirrors that allow you to see are very deceiving, make things look further away than they actually are.

I think you may be right, however it should in no way be 50/50, its not even ambiguous or a grey area, joining a motorway you must give way, even if that means coming to a stop on the slip road.
John

3rd Mar 13 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't see how it's 50/50. It's not up to the truck to get out the way, it's the responsibility of the civic not to be an old fool.
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Mar 13 at 14:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, but you know what insurance companies are like
Ben G

3rd Mar 13 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I don't see how it's 50/50. It's not up to the truck to get out the way, it's the responsibility of the civic not to be an old fool.

yep, clearly stated in the highway code. i'm sure if you quoted what is said in the highway code then they would have no argument over who's fault it is.
Bonney

3rd Mar 13 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was taught when doing my class 1 (now called c+e) licence, that when you are approaching a slip road to either 1, match your speed to the vehicle joining the motorway, or 2, if it is safe to do so, move into lane 2 to allow the vehicle to join the motorway safely.

I put the 50/50 comment as it seems no matter who is at fault, when a truck is involved all blame seems to be put on the lorry driver as most company's don't want a claim hanging over them to keep their costs down. Seen it a few times in the company I work for.
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Mar 13 at 15:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And what if 1 and 2 aren't an option. Eg traffic in lane 2 and the joining car is doing what a lot do and doing 40mph joining the motorway are you meant to slow down the motorway traffic to 40mph just to let it in?

Bad advice imo and against the highway code
Bonney

3rd Mar 13 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically they assume that the person joining will give way to you. I agree that it is poor advice but most of the time it works out. Also this goes for anticipation, Not doing it when right near the junction, as you approach the junction and can see, look for any vehicles joining. Then asses weather to keep on at the pace or to move over, Bit of common sense if you think about it.
pow
Premium Member

3rd Mar 13 at 16:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can use the hard shoulder as extra run off now if it's safe to do so too...
LeeM

3rd Mar 13 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not really a slip road, you come onto that bit from here
https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=53.804152,-2.694062&spn=0.000627,0.002064&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=53.804152,-2.694062&panoid=ZKoGlydEF_lEgpmQndiwJQ&cbp=12,164.72,,0,0
if youre in the left lane youre good, then randomly the right lane merges into the inside lane of the other motorway to the right.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
3rd Mar 13 at 18:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
One of the biggest things that angers me on the road that, people ambling on a motorway slip road at 45-50mph.

That's not what I'm talking about, don't care how slow they're going, the problem I have is people matching my speed and expecting me to deal with it.

Then as Nick says, accelerate away afterwards which they could have done in the first place.
Ian
Site Administrator

3rd Mar 13 at 18:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Bad advice imo and against the highway code

Its also evasive and minimises your exposure to blame. Sitting in lane 1 with the cruise on knowing your rights doesn't mean you're not going to be in a world of shit when you spin someone round on your bumper.

There's a difference between knowing your rights and employing them, and avoiding accidents where possible.

There are loads of situations where its better to forfeit your right of way than be in a crash, so many dickheads don't know what the hell is going on, falls to the more educated and more experienced to make those allowances.
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Mar 13 at 18:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeah I'm not saying if you see an accident about to happen then don't take evasive action just in the cause of proving a point.

I'm saying as far as who's to blame then I can't see how it can be the lorry drivers fault
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Mar 13 at 18:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There have been numerous times iv got mad at people when joining a motorway and they make it difficult to by not moving over into a clearly free middle lane.

However I slow/speed up or stop aaccordingly. I don't just pull out mindlessly, anyone that does that doesn't deserve a license. The onus is more on you being on the slip road to adjust and take evasive action
Ian
Site Administrator

3rd Mar 13 at 19:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Difference is, you're driving a little car with a relatively good power to weight ratio.

You're not moving a 10+ metre combination at 10-15mph under the limit in to a faster live lane.

No way anyone joining should ever get mad. I've had it when I didn't move, only me and the other guy on the entire motorway, nearly drove in to me and gave me loads of shit out the window purely because I didn't give way to him.

He was in a single occupant car, good visibility, no other hazards anywhere.

What I'm really saying is people in cars need to appreciate what its like to drive something bigger.

On the other hand, I'll pull out and hold up cars if there's a wagon wanting to join. Same as I let vans out and anyone else using the road professionally.

Family man in a hatchback on his way to Ikea can do one.
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Mar 13 at 19:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only because it's not very good etiquette not moving if there's room to do it. I never go out of my way to make their life difficult because of it as I realise it's their right of way.
Ian
Site Administrator

3rd Mar 13 at 19:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Only because it's not very good etiquette not moving if there's room to do it.

Neither is giving me shit out the window, that didn't stop him.

I've also got to move back in at some point and there could be cars to my left going faster than I am, that's dangerous.

I can't see prior to passing the slip whether that will happen. If I'm in lane 2 already that's even harder to make that observation.

Loads of reasons but mostly that car drivers don't have a clue.
AlexW

3rd Mar 13 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
part of the reason is because the driving test doesn't incorporate motorways imo.

Did you not drive on any dual carriageways on your lessons/test?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » How not to join a motorway 23 database queries in 0.0101509 seconds