corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » 3D printing the future?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 3D printing the future?
mart08uk

User status: Offline
9th Mar 13 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work for envisionTEC probably the best 3D printers for photosensitive resins.. Works in a similar method as the printers shown above but projects the images onto the resin and builds that way, builds in 25 micron layers but can go lower/higher.. This is an old video but explains how they work CLICK. There is even a desktop 'Micro' printer we have that sits on the desk..
ed

9th Mar 13 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's the desktop version like? The SLA printer I used to use was really sensitive to vibration and movement. If it got knocked then your model would come out a bit off, right pain Granted it was a pretty old machine!
mart08uk

9th Mar 13 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really good, like them all to be honest, the build platform is quite small but they have different versions. But no issues with knocking the machine, as long as there is resin in the basement it will print anything..
mart08uk

9th Mar 13 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like this:

when i say small its roughly 250mm x 250mm and about 500mm tall..
Dan
Premium Member

9th Mar 13 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much are these things and how much is the resin etc?

Seriously cool

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Rob E

9th Mar 13 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We are taking delivery of our second 3d printer within the next couple of weeks in work. The current one has saved the company vast amounts of time and money with product development. There is so much potential which will change the way products develop once its more affordable. We have access to a couple of awesome printing materials, one is aluminium infused nylon and another is a flexible form of abs which is brilliant for replicating Abs moulded plastic behaviour/properties.
Rob E

9th Mar 13 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
How much are these things and how much is the resin etc?

Seriously cool

The cartridges for our machine cost £460 a pop. There is a minimum if two needed at a time, one for the support structure (soluble) and one for the actual model material, but we always have four loaded at a time to minimise downtime of the machine. Our machine also uses a Perspex sheet as a build base which are £6 a pop and you can only use them once. Printing tips need to be changed after a recommended 500 hour of usage. Again you always have two in use and they are circa £1000 per set.

Initial outlay is very expensive but if your in a line of work that relies heavily on research and development/design validation of parts then its still so much more cheaper than sending the work out of house to an external 3d printing company.
3CorsaMeal

9th Mar 13 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3d printing at the office Xmas party will be the thing in the future. Running around the room with your tie round your head like rambo and brandishing a plastic replica of your penis ftw
Robin
Premium Member

11th Mar 13 at 08:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
I ordered a 3d printed GoPro mount for my scuba diving mask this week, looking forward to getting it shortly.

http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_929747_822322_1361184913.jpg

http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_843416_723593_1356389372.jpg

That would have been a tenth of the price if it had been manufactured by older methods.
3CorsaMeal

22nd Apr 14 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can pretty much make anything i want from various shapes of pasta anyway, pasta printing will be the future.

On a serious note a guy on airgun forum 3D prints and sells silencers for guns and when sawn in half the plastic is full of air pockets and gaps.
Rob_Quads

22nd Apr 14 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin

That would have been a tenth of the price if it had been manufactured by older methods.

Out of interest which methods would have been cheaper? From when I wanted to try and make up a part similar to that years ago companies wanted a fortune to make up a mould to make it. It only became reasonable if you wanted to go mass production. Any small runs were just not viable which is where I thought the 3D printing comes into its own.
chris_uk
Premium Member

22nd Apr 14 at 09:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Koenigsecc mensions that you will be able to 3d print in carbon fibre very soon.

They make a lot of there parts from 3d printing resins and metals .
Robin
Premium Member

22nd Apr 14 at 09:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
quote:
Originally posted by Robin

Out of interest which methods would have been cheaper? From when I wanted to try and make up a part similar to that years ago companies wanted a fortune to make up a mould to make it. It only became reasonable if you wanted to go mass production. Any small runs were just not viable which is where I thought the 3D printing comes into its own.

I'm not sure I can answer this now as it's a long time ago but I'm fairly certain the item in question was a kid of money and would have been cheaper to have it machined from aluminium.
John

22nd Apr 14 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A long time ago would have also meant that 3d printers weren't as common or advanced.

3d printer for £500 and then £10 a kg (it varies) of filament.
Balling
Premium Member

22nd Apr 14 at 10:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spammer is a Danish company in direct violation with our marketing laws. They've been reported and will be fined.

baza31

22nd Apr 14 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Balling
Premium Member

22nd Apr 14 at 10:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gazza808

22nd Apr 14 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saves numerous hours at our place prototyping stuff on 3d printers,

Would love to be set loose on one but can't even get in the same country as them

Tempted by a cheap one when I try to do some casting in my garage no good at wood work to make the patterns.
John

22nd Apr 14 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Remember that to print the parts you either have to design or scan them in, unless someone has already done the creation part. Not quite as easy as just buying a printer.
gazza808

22nd Apr 14 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm fairly rusty on cad/cam but also have a few mates who do it for a living that owe me many favours lol.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » 3D printing the future? 24 database queries in 0.0162320 seconds