corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Loss of job! Need advice!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Loss of job! Need advice!
beany113

User status: Offline
11th Mar 13 at 07:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys, unfortunatly I've just been told I'm not needed at work anymore and I was hoping to hear some advice!
I'm 20years old and a qualified plasterer. I've been doing it for 6 years since I've left school, the building trade is falling apart and I'm wondering weather it's worth keeping at it or weather I should try Nd find a more secure job. I'm just looking for advice please so no sarcy comments please.. Cheers guys!!
Eddx14xe

11th Mar 13 at 07:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go self employed, do the plastering. That way if you want to do another course or learn something new, you can just book your work around the lessons.

Im in sort of the same position. I work with a guy, doing plumbing and house maintenance, I've had quite a few days off recently and I'm not in again today. It's nice having the time off but also I lose money when I'm not in.

I personally think software developer is the way to go nowadays, when I'm looking at other jobs, every other vacancy is for some sort of developer.

[Edited on 11-03-2013 by Eddx14xe]
Jay

11th Mar 13 at 07:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's tons of dashing work about, we've been offered work in clacton but I couldn't be arsed travelling that far, we do external insulation and that needs scrim coating and dashing. Should look into it of your already good at plastering, the boarding is easy.
davegreen
Premium Member

11th Mar 13 at 07:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your young enough to retrain for another trade, evening classes, day release, maybe look into other trades in building like plumbing and electrics? people needs these more for repairs so should always be work out there.
beany113

11th Mar 13 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi mate! I forgot to say I am currently self employed and have been for the past year, I work with my dad and even he is giving it a second thought! I would love to do something like that but I didn't take school seriously :/ I'm not stupid or anything but all my grades are c's with 2 d's.
Sorry to hear your out of work at the moment hopefully it picks up!!
beany113

11th Mar 13 at 07:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have thought about electrics and have looked into it, just trying to find someone that will take me on, the I'm just looking for a realisable job that I can work hard at!
Eddx14xe

11th Mar 13 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've spent ages trying to find someone that would take me on as an apprentice electrician but no one was taking anyone one.

I'd prefer to do it over any other trade, much cleaner and more technical than the other trades.
CORSA NUT

11th Mar 13 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your a good plasterer you should NEVER be out if work.

If I had a pound for every time somone asked me if I knew a good one I wouldn't have to work the good ones we know have to turn down 50% of the jobs they get offered.

Oh and sorry for the bad news but you won't be able to retrain train as a spark it all changed last year and you have to be under 19 (I think) and be employed by a contractor to get onto the 2330 college course.

I'm a spark btw.
CORSA NUT

11th Mar 13 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and being a spark is far from 'Clean'
beany113

11th Mar 13 at 08:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I'm just a very hands on person, I love working hard and making a nice job of my trade, plastering is a great skill to have but the work just isn't as easy to find anymore and this past year has been dreadful. I guess I just need to look long and hard online and shop windows to see what's about! Thanks guys
Eddx14xe

11th Mar 13 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
Oh and being a spark is far from 'Clean'

Cleaner than changing peoples toilets
Lee_fr200

11th Mar 13 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by beany113
Yeah I'm just a very hands on person, I love working hard and making a nice job of my trade, plastering is a great skill to have but the work just isn't as easy to find anymore and this past year has been dreadful. I guess I just need to look long and hard online and shop windows to see what's about! Thanks guys

If you're self employed have you tried advertising more or why not look at joining a big building company,either way though a few plasterers I know have more work on than they can handle
beany113

11th Mar 13 at 08:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah maybe we need to advertise more, tbh we got out work the past year through previous contractors. Best bet would to get the van all labeled and stickered up
BenC1985

11th Mar 13 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im in the same boat mate. I was in the cavity wall and loft insulation business and i lost my job just before christmas. The industry will have to let go of about 16,000 jobs so theres no point in me trying to get back into it as its not 100% safe that it will last much longer. Lol I need to train in something else ideally or ill end up working in a dead end job for the rest of my life.lol I wish you luck with whatever you try but its not easy these days unfortunatly.
beany113

11th Mar 13 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BenC1985
Im in the same boat mate. I was in the cavity wall and loft insulation business and i lost my job just before christmas. The industry will have to let go of about 16,000 jobs so theres no point in me trying to get back into it as its not 100% safe that it will last much longer. Lol I need to train in something else ideally or ill end up working in a dead end job for the rest of my life.lol I wish you luck with whatever you try but its not easy these days unfortunatly.

sorry to hear about the loss of your job mate!! its never easy having to be laid off near christmas!!. ive decided to stick with it and just try my hardest to get mine and my dads name out there and attract as much work as possible!! thanks for your kind words!!
baza31

11th Mar 13 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Advertise in local paper. Standard room skim £200 etc ( as cheap as you can ) local papers are under estimated . If you ask £15 an hour you won't get it that's a fact , what I used to do was lower my prices , once I had loads coming in I would creep it up . I have a lot of people I do work for now and now have a decent customer base all who never quibble at my pricing . I'd prefer to work all week for £100 than sit at home with fuck all on because I overpriced .
mattk

11th Mar 13 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get out there and do it, Im a self employed plumber, its hard going on your own but it has to be done, if your good at it you will get the work. just be mindful that the money isnt what it was 10 years ago, tradesmen arnt the kings they used to be

its still do-able though if your willing
VegasPhil
Premium Member

11th Mar 13 at 20:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go self employed and get into London.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
LeeM

12th Mar 13 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I opted for uni when I was unable to find work in my trade, different circumstances to you though
My cousin is a bricky by trade as well, been in it for years but the works slowing down so he's gone and got his hgv license to get him by if he ever needs its

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Loss of job! Need advice! 24 database queries in 0.0151820 seconds