corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Private plate question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Private plate question
Brett
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Mar 13 at 18:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know people are asking about private plates all the time so apologies

I put my car up for sale today after not really thinking the whole thing through because mainly I didn't expect to be bombarded with calls straight away, but I have

So my question is... I currently have my plate on the car. If I go down to the DVLA personally can i get it put on retention there and then and the old plate restored? I'm holding people off coming to look now in case they want to take it straight away

I assume even then tho that i'll have to wait for the new V5 to come through weeks later? Unsure on the best course of action, but I know I don't want to be one of those fools that signs over the car then struggles to keep ownership of the plate when they don't play ball

Cheers
John

12th Mar 13 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll take a week for the new keeper bit and tax disc to come back.

I've had 2 V5's back within a week recently though.
andys sxi
Premium Member

12th Mar 13 at 18:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just explain to them thats you have got a private plate on and you wont be selling it untill all the documents are back from dvla, but you will take a deposit on it and hold it for them, they will probably be back in a week or 2

April 08 feature car
BeetleGav

12th Mar 13 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I've swapped and changed mine over a lot this year and each time it only took a week to come back.
Brett
Premium Member

12th Mar 13 at 18:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah, that's good news . Did you guys just do postal or go down there?
John

12th Mar 13 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always go down, there's one in Glasgow.

What I'd do (have done a few times) in your situation is let whoever wants it see the V5 to see it's legit, then if they buy it go down to DVLA the next day and sort it all out.

This relies on them understanding that when they come back to pick it up the next day you won't have a V5 to hand over. People that have their own plates normally understand that.
Brett
Premium Member

12th Mar 13 at 18:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If i did that, do you know if i'd have the option to sign the v5 over at the same time and get the new one delivered direct to new keeper?

[Edited on 12-03-2013 by Brett]
John

12th Mar 13 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should be able to sort it all out in one go afaik.

Actually you definitely can, I went down with the V5 in the last guys name for my car and got the same done, kind of but back to front.

[Edited on 12-03-2013 by John]
andys sxi
Premium Member

12th Mar 13 at 18:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for the sake of a week i would just take a deposit if thats alrite with the new owner and do it that way

April 08 feature car
Brett
Premium Member

12th Mar 13 at 18:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok cheers Be good if I could get the new motor first so I could stick my plate on that too and kill everything in one trip
CORSA NUT

12th Mar 13 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I bought mine the guy got me to fill in my details on a form and also sign a letter saying that he still owned the plate etc.

Seemed legit although I could have theoretically kept his plate as when the V5 came back with my name on his plate number was still on it, if you get me.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Private plate question 24 database queries in 0.0116191 seconds