corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » rear disc conversion handbrake cable question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author rear disc conversion handbrake cable question
Mikey_j

User status: Offline
   12th Mar 13 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bolted my rear beam back on today and fitted the cable that came with it (bought it off of someone already converted). The long cable is adjusted to the end but there is so much slack in the cable you wouldnt believe. Is it right that I use the standard corsa long cable or or a mk2 astra gte cable? Its using mk3 astra gsi brakes. It does have brackets on it to hold the cable and the shoes are adjusted properly. Any ideas? Cheers
davegreen
Premium Member

12th Mar 13 at 20:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive shortend a cav mkIII cable on mine, got a genuine vauxhall astra gte cable to go on but never got round to it. corsa ones are way to long, but you do need a corsa front cable to the lever.
Mikey_j

12th Mar 13 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I think its the original cable to the lever as that side starts to go tight when you pull the lever inside the car. Just the long side thats not right I think. How did u shorten a mk3 cav cable? Do you know the part number for the mk2 astra gte cable?

[Edited on 12-03-2013 by Mikey_j]
davegreen
Premium Member

12th Mar 13 at 20:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres a guide posted on here somewhere for doing a disc brake conversion thats got the part number in it.
to shorten a cable ive drill a cross hole big enough for the cable to go through twice in 2x m12 bolts cut the cable and threaded both ends through the bolts so the cable overlaps the put nuts on the bolts and tightend them up then adjusted the cable. bit of a bodge but it passes mot ok has done for last 6 years.
Mikey_j

12th Mar 13 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah ok that makes sense. Il speak to my mate at euros and see if I can get the lengths which I suppose might help but if I cant find anything I think I will be doing the same as you lol
daine
Premium Member

12th Mar 13 at 23:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Mikey, Corsa left side hand brake cable and a early Nova Left side cable ( long one used to be on right of a Nova).
Have a look on ebay mate! cable want's to be 940mm long....
Mikey_j

13th Mar 13 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daine
Hi Mikey, Corsa left side hand brake cable and a early Nova Left side cable ( long one used to be on right of a Nova).
Have a look on ebay mate! cable want's to be 940mm long....

You are 100% sure thats the cable i need? Ive had a look on ebay for one but they are all 960mm long.. £4.08p from euros ebay account! Bargain!
gary2097

13th Mar 13 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i want to know this also please i heard original corsa long cable to rear passenger wheel and short nova cable 815mm long to the drivers rear wheel part number (90125513) however i havent jacked it up to have a look and see if this is right
gary2097

13th Mar 13 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

apparently the nova cable has a threaded bar which you can cut down so that it fits the adjuster on the rear beam however like i said wont be doing it till next week ready for mot
Mikey_j

13th Mar 13 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I believe i have the original corsa long cable but without measuring i cant be 100% but the amount of slack is ridiculous so i cant see that you can use it without shortening it
gary2097

13th Mar 13 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dunno then mate mine has been snapped for ages just never got a definite answer as to which cables work the original corsa cable must fit i would think if you use the shorter of the two
gary2097

13th Mar 13 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
gary2097

13th Mar 13 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

here is the setup as it would be on the car mate the way i was told was the cable marked number 12 is the original corsa cable the one marked 11 would be replaced with the nova short cable 90125513 815mm and the part where it meets the bracket number 18 you can cut the threaded bar down to take out the slack
Mikey_j

13th Mar 13 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah ive got number 12 on atm and that seems ok its just number 11. Its a job to know if i need the 960mm or the 815mm one without measuring what i have but thats a fair difference between those two
gary2097

13th Mar 13 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so you have 12 to the passenger side wheel and thats fine? if thats the case the 815mm nova cable should replace the other one and work then which is what i was told originally and is what i am going for mate i was told the 960mm one is too long
gary2097

13th Mar 13 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to give you an idea number 12 is 1373mm long and the original number 11 is 1078mm so the nova one will be 250mm or so
daine
Premium Member

13th Mar 13 at 23:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In the diagram Mikey the cable marked 11 is the one you need at 940mm
but if you can only get 960mm mate, try shortening 18.
Possy of hear told me he cut 40mm out the middle, welded it back up
said it worked a treat.
Mikey_j

13th Mar 13 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have no 12 going to passenger rear yes. I think im going to take a punt on the 960mm one as thats still 11/12cm? Shorter than the original one and at £4 its got to be worth a shot

[Edited on 13-03-2013 by Mikey_j]
gary2097

14th Mar 13 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no worries can u send me a pm and let me know how u get on please mate
gary2097

15th Mar 13 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any joy with this mate?
Mikey_j

15th Mar 13 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the cable today mate... all being well i will be fitting it at some point this weekend
gary2097

16th Mar 13 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool let me know how u get on cos ill be doing mine on Tuesday will be ideal if it fits as the mot is due Thursday :-)
gary2097

18th Mar 13 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did u get this sorted mate?
gary2097

19th Mar 13 at 02:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

?

New Poll