corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Haggling advice?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Haggling advice?
Toby
Premium Member

User status: Offline
20th Mar 13 at 22:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Last time i was there at the purchase on a private sale was for my brother.

I rang the guy (who had a corsa up for £3600), told the guy we only had £3300 and would that let him have the car today. The guy said yes, we rocked up, car was all good, few issues but nothing major and would be covered by knocking £300 of it. So i asked the guy to talk prices, he said we had already agreed price, so i just said that was before the issues i had seen. I offered him £3k, we then settled on £3150.

Quite a good tactic that i had learnt in the past especially if your wafting cash under his nose while your there.
Corsa_Sport21

20th Mar 13 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you were any good at haggling, or you had the bottle to haggle, you wouldn't be asking on here. I wouldn't go giving him the sob story either.

In this situation, a cheeky wee txt offering £900 for a quick cash sale wouldn't go a miss.

All sellers are different. As a rule of thumb, 10% off is what most sellers will go by. Some folk get desperate though and take low offers.

What model is it??

I HATE not getting a car for the price i wan't to pay. My Prelude was up for £600 strictly no offers. Guy made this clear both times even when i txt him off 2 different numbers. Had to wait a week for him to knock the £75 i wanted off.

Ive stood in the pissin rain for an hour for the sake of £50 also. Guy and his mate kept going over the car trying to point stuff out thinking it would work.
3CorsaMeal

21st Mar 13 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i bought the corrado the guy hadn't even got it up for sale, i asked what he wanted for it and he said £4500, straight away i said would you take £4000 and he said yep instantly, was easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Mar 13 at 09:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm terrible at haggling, couldn't even get floormats thrown in or a full tank of fuel in the past

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
flybikeslee

21st Mar 13 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got a grand knocked off the s2k. just pick holes in everything. monies better in your own pocket
jacko198

21st Mar 13 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take him along with you ^ seems to work lol
edd1.0

21st Mar 13 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i am awful at haggling tbf , but it doesnt help that i know the kid , so i would feel embarrassed making stupidly low offers in the first place. Its a 1.0 51plate corsa club as far as im away thats the basic spec?
flybikeslee

21st Mar 13 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the civic was advertised for 3k back in the day...gave him £1500...
flybikeslee

21st Mar 13 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by edd1.0
yeah i am awful at haggling tbf , but it doesnt help that i know the kid , so i would feel embarrassed making stupidly low offers in the first place. Its a 1.0 51plate corsa club as far as im away thats the basic spec?

Just say it a joking way to begin with..you'll know how far to push him then
edd1.0

21st Mar 13 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

50% off is impressive haha , yehh i suppose that could work at the end of the day its only £150 off but im over thinking , i can't see anyone going there and offering him the full amount
flybikeslee

21st Mar 13 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just be pally with him, use it to your advantage and rip him a new one
DaveyLC

21st Mar 13 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattant
Take £1,000 in cash to show him and tell him you'll take it that day, for £150 it should work

Always the way.. take what you've got and be honest. Don't waste the poor bastid's time if you haven't even got the grand in your hand.
Matt L

21st Mar 13 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got £2k knocked off the price of a car before even going to see it people desperate to sell their cars ftw, sold it 6months later for £1k more than i got it for
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Mar 13 at 15:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ask him when he wants his £950.

If he doesn't go for it, call him three days later and tell him to come get his £900.

If he's doing it to make a profit, he'd have bought it for £400 and spent £50. The fact he's paid too much isn't your worry.

In fact why are you paying a grand for a 51 plate car? I'd be looking to give about £500-600 unless its a particularly rare 51 plate Corsa.
Corsa_Sport21

21st Mar 13 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What you would be looking to give, and what they are selling for is 2 different things though.
edd1.0

21st Mar 13 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

from what ive looked £1k is a good price for one tbf
Corsa_Sport21

21st Mar 13 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What model is it??

Ive got an 02 plate Sxi with 96k on it, years mot etc, and i would think i could get £1200 judging by what other local similar cars are going for.
edd1.0

21st Mar 13 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just a club i think done 75k good mot and tax, so a base model , but its in good condition apparently , from what ive been looking at its hard to get any corsa c for much lower than a grand
Carl

21st Mar 13 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm shit at haggling, I know what you are meant to do to get the best price but I just feel a dick doing it. I think it's because I'd take it personally if it was the otherway around!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Haggling advice? 24 database queries in 0.0141900 seconds