corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Radiators - rust inhibitor

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Radiators - rust inhibitor
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
24th Mar 13 at 19:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been having some problems with my radiators over the last few months, quite a few leaks, have replaced three already and the large bathroom one towel rail style which has been in there 15 months has just failed again with a large balloon on the paint which if its the same as last time indicates a failure in the weld.

I've also replaced the drain valves as a few of those were seeping.

Do I need to add any rust inhibitor back in to the system? Thinking it must be very weak by now if it had any just because I've introduced so much new water. Although a lot of advice on the web just says keep it free from air and that is good enough?
eckers90

24th Mar 13 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not a plumber, but my job is to flush and commissiong HUGGEEEEE heating systems, before you inhibit you need to use a system cleaner, a good one, one that gets rid of the corrosion first. flush it all out so that its completely spotless, then inhibit, dont overdose the inhibitor though, cause some of them can start picking up rust that is there, but once filled and vented properly with a good inhibitor, you shouldnt have a problem.
Colin

24th Mar 13 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had trouble with an old system in a flat and fitted a magnetic filter in the system, it removes all the iron oxide particles to stop corrosion.
Ste
Premium Member

24th Mar 13 at 21:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iron oxide isn't truly rust. Rust is usually described as hydrated ferric oxide by chemists.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Colin

24th Mar 13 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whatever it was it cleaned it right out. Bang in some sentinel as well.....job done!
mattk

25th Mar 13 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably cheap shit rads are half the problem. best bet is to throw some cleaner in for a few days then some inhibitor. I regulaly convert 20 year old rads from tank pressure to mains and rarley have a problem
mattk

25th Mar 13 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And btw I can give you 3 bottles of each for nothing if you need it, half a litre bottles of Fernox F1 and F3 it is.

I can drop them at Mike B`s if you want
monkeytwizzel

25th Mar 13 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As mattk has said really,we had to to run some cleaner though a system twice over a 3 week period to clean it then refill and add inhibitor.
If you still have a problem the system can be chemicaly cleaned under pressure by a heating engineer.

[Edited on 25-03-2013 by monkeytwizzel]
mattk

25th Mar 13 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon Ian is well capable of doing a power flush. Not that old your place is it Ian?
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Mar 13 at 22:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can get the stuff that would be sound.

The rads which have failed are the original ones.

Towel rail thing has lasted 15 months.

Did fancy getting better ones if that makes a different to how long they're going to last but I wasn't sure what to look out for to make sure I'm not just paying too much for the same shit one.
Chris
Premium Member

15th Apr 13 at 21:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reduce house temp from 26C and boiler temp down from 97C.

Still running @ 4bar
mattk

16th Apr 13 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol 4bar, that be why
Toby
Premium Member

16th Apr 13 at 17:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need to get bleed off some of that pressure. 4bar is at least double the pressure you need and should have.
Chris
Premium Member

16th Apr 13 at 21:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

His house is like an oven, most likely melted the rads

New Poll