corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » DSG Box's (Scirocco Owners Please?)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author DSG Box's (Scirocco Owners Please?)
taylorboosh

User status: Offline
3rd Apr 13 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clutch is better when playing
SXI - Matt

3rd Apr 13 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guess my next question is if I buy private would it be best to steer away from the DSG or are they fairly reliable? As I won't have warranty ect
SXI - Matt

3rd Apr 13 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If any one knows much about scirocco's could you answer these questions?

Looking for a GT TDI 170 confussed as to why some have black roof linning and some have cream?

Also any one know when the facelift was different steering wheel and MFD I believe?
nathy_87

3rd Apr 13 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SXI - Matt
Guess my next question is if I buy private would it be best to steer away from the DSG or are they fairly reliable? As I won't have warranty ect

That is totally up to you weather you want Manual or Auto. I haven't come across anyone that has had a problem with DSG, like I say the only thing i dislike is in S mode and I use the paddles it takes a second to change rather than instant and you can feel it.
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Apr 13 at 09:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
I used to prefer manual until I got an auto.

I was the same. Recently bought an auto myself. For 90% of the driving I do it's much better.
SXI - Matt

3rd Apr 13 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am swaying towards it hearing really good stuff about them
Corsa_Sport21

3rd Apr 13 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to add my 2p worth.

My boss had 2 Mk5 Golf Gti's, both DSG, and both shat there boxes. IIRC 1 of them was fixable, the other it was new box time.

[Edited on 03-04-2013 by Corsa_Sport21]
SXI - Matt

3rd Apr 13 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I do worry about if the DSG was to go wrong it's expensive so would probably rather get one if it was from a garage and if private a manual. Saying that either could go and either would cost a bomb so guess its much of a muchness.

If I could find an indistructable car id get it but every car has its problems I guess 2 is pure bad luck
Mattb

3rd Apr 13 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Later boxes are better - original DSG was utter crap, clutch problems, mechatronics problems.

Being the 6 speed make sure it has been serviced correctly, needs an oil and filter change every 40000 miles... this is essential.

As for MPG - shouldnt be that different as its pretty much a manual gearbox anyway internally
SXI - Matt

3rd Apr 13 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do they not use a 7 speed DSG box? Thought I read some were they were 7 speed think as I'm probably going private ill hold out for the manaul and if a garage then consider the DSG
taylorboosh

3rd Apr 13 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt let horror stories scare you, if it breaks it breaks...
SXI - Matt

3rd Apr 13 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
I wouldnt let horror stories scare you, if it breaks it breaks...

It's not so much horror stories as if it happens its going to happen but if I have no warranty I'd rather fix a manaul then a DSG
Mattb

3rd Apr 13 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SXI - Matt
Do they not use a 7 speed DSG box? Thought I read some were they were 7 speed think as I'm probably going private ill hold out for the manaul and if a garage then consider the DSG

7 Speed gearbox is on the smaller engines up to the 1.8 tfsi no bigger. The 7 speed uses twin dry clutches. The 6 speed uses twin wet clutches which are cooled by the gearbox oil and are able to cope with more torque.

Issues with the 7 speed appear to be sorted now, but are less reliable than the 6 speed
SXI - Matt

3rd Apr 13 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah ok so I would get a 6 speed with the 2.0 170 TDI, and guess that'd explain the need for the oil and filter change
Toby
Premium Member

3rd Apr 13 at 20:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your that concerned, with what you save going private, get a third part warranty.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » DSG Box's (Scirocco Owners Please?) 23 database queries in 0.0134020 seconds