corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Exhaust Heatwrap ?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Exhaust Heatwrap ?
NathanR

User status: Offline
8th Apr 13 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just looking to tidy the engine bay up on the C and wanted to wrap my John Ashley manifold as it looks like they let there apprentice do the welding blindfolded .

Anyone recommend any good stuff that they've used ? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated .
davegreen
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 21:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got a dei heat wrap kit from demon tweeks, came with 2 rolls of 2" wrap, 12 stainless steel ties and the sealer spray. more than enough wrap do do my x20xev 4/2/1 manifold/down pipe. cost £100. lasts quiet well to.
Haimsey
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 21:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used a black wrap from jjc race and rally.
Order off eBay for free del.
Was 20 or 50ft rolls.

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
DansCorsaSXi
Organiser: Yorkshire
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 21:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get one of eBay dude,that'll do!!

People only do it for the looks,not for performance.

Star silver C20XE SXi Project thread

Smoke Grey Corsa GSi Project thread
NathanR

8th Apr 13 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dave that looks a good kit and that's the colour I ideally would like . But I wasn't planning on spending that kind of money on it . £50 tops ideally . Might be slightly ambitious though ?

Thanks haimsey I'll check that out now mate !

Having a look threw eBay now Daniel son .
JoshSRi

8th Apr 13 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't bother heat wrapping it Nath. Heat wrap is known for cracking cheap manifolds, it cracked mine.
NathanR

8th Apr 13 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really josh ? My manifold looks shite though . Thought abit of heat wrap might tidy it up and make it slightly more presentable
corsa-torque

8th Apr 13 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did mine with some stuff off eBay, was about £30 in black with stainless cable ties. Does the job nicely.

Wear gloves when applying makes you itchy as fuck!
JoshSRi

8th Apr 13 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by NathanR
Really josh ? My manifold looks shite though . Thought abit of heat wrap might tidy it up and make it slightly more presentable

Yeah, John Ashley manifold's aren't the best quality as it is. If you want to make it more presentable, personally I'd get it ceramic coated.

If you decide to go ahead with it, I got my heat wrap form a company called Midlands Exhausts on eBay I think it was. Was the 2" black stuff.
tom130691
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 22:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lots of crack manifold stories in the mini world too,

wanted to do it as the carb sits next to the manifold but strongly addvised not to
SVM 286

9th Apr 13 at 01:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by NathanR
Just looking to tidy the engine bay up on the C and wanted to wrap my John Ashley manifold as it looks like they let there apprentice do the welding blindfolded .

Anyone recommend any good stuff that they've used ? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated .

Thermo-Tec is invaluable on mine and can't do wthout it as the heat from the downpipe destroys the inboard CV boot if not wrapped.
NathanR

9th Apr 13 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for all the feedback guys ! I found something I liked the look of on eBay but after abit more research on wrapping John Ashley manifolds I don't think I'm going to bother as they seem to crack when wrapped .
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

10th Apr 13 at 01:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had an ashley manifold on mine, welding wash shite! it was wrapped when I got it. eventually cracked.

Now have a toyosport one in stainless
chris_uk
Premium Member

10th Apr 13 at 07:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks fine for the first 6months or so then it starts to go really brittle and flakey then just falls off.

A bit pointless tbh.
Toby
Premium Member

10th Apr 13 at 08:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Manifolds only crack (other than joints) when wrapped because they have been wrapped incorrectly. If there are gaps in the wrapping then this is where heat will build.

Also make sure you apply the wrap when its wet, it goes a dirty brown colour quicker but certainly helps apply it and results are better.
Vauxdan88

10th Apr 13 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used the pro temp stuff off eBay,wrapped it fine but when I went to take the manifold off after about 1400 miles,as I was getting it out the bay and knocking it on things the wrap was like toast and was just breaking off in bits
Toby
Premium Member

11th Apr 13 at 14:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It should go that brittle that it comes off like that. Was it cheap?
Wrighty

11th Apr 13 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DEI titanium. Apply it slightly damp and secure with lock wire/steel cable ties.
Vauxdan88

21st Apr 13 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah £10 a roll iirc. Won't use it again

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Exhaust Heatwrap ? 24 database queries in 0.0129352 seconds