corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » E92 Msport Detailed

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author E92 Msport Detailed
Toby
Premium Member

User status: Offline
28th Apr 13 at 16:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For those of you that like this sort of thing.....

I called in a favour and a mate detailed the car. The cars not perfect, few RDS still but massive improvement and i'm very happy with the results. No plans for it as I haven't decided either way what I'm doing with it as i could potentially be doing a lot less mileage soon so it may go for something with a scary MPG. But car is booked to have bonnet and bumper sprayed in a months time so will need to re seal these then. No beading shots as needed 4 hours to cure and I haven't seen any rain yet.

All copied from DW.

link to original thread here

quote:
Originally posted on Detailing World
Thought id share this weekends detail of a friends BMW 320 Msport in Space Grey.

pretty intensive job and even with 2 of us it took about 10 hours. as the car covers a lot of miles there was lots of work in getting the car clean and decontaminated. long lasting coatings were used to help keep it looking its best for as long as possible.

process was as follows:

foamed with CG no touch
iron x and tardis on wheels
shampoo'd with britemax cleanmax
clayed with AF clay
tardis on tar spots

cut with optimum mf discs with scholl S3 via flex3401
polished/refined with verious pads with AF No.2 via flex

IPA wipe down on wheels, glass and body work
EXO v2 on paintwork (2coats)
EXO v2 on glass and lights (2coats)
EXO v2 on wheels
C1 on plastic trim
tyres dressed with pinnacle black onyx gel

firstly the foam with my newly fixed AB lance

the foam was then used to clean the panel gaps and grills with verious brushes. a process the owner found jolly exciting!

car was then rinsed and iron x left to dwell whist the shampoo was mixed

wheels were then cleaned using cleanmax with ez brush, wheel nut brushes and lambswool mitt with tardis used to remove tar spots

after washing and rinsing the bodywork the car was moved in out of the wind and rain for claying undercover.

the paint was then assessed for swirls, scratches and defects

paint was showing light swirling with quite a few random deep scratches

the paint was then polished using optimum cutting discs and scholl S3 to remove these. (pictures are before refining)

the paint was then given a second stage using AF NO. 2 and various pads. this seemed to work pretty well but was very oily and quite thick meaning it was a fine line between applying to much product and blocking the pours of the pad and not enough leading to the product drying out before it was fully worked. a line of product across the pad rather than small drops seemed to give the best results. an excellent base for applying wax afterwards but scholl S17 would have been more useful in this case.

a random shot of a drop of hail stone that found its way onto the freshly polished roof before melting. only in the uk do you get could you have such a variation in weather!

the exhaust was then cleaned using tardis and autosol

before:

after:

the whole car including glass and wheels was then given a full wipedown with IPA to remove and oils, dust etc prior to applying the coating.

next was the moment of truth

method of applying EXO v2:

i used a Cquartz style applicator block and cut the peach skin style cloth that comes in the EXO kit to the correct size and wrapping it around the block just like the aplication of fog fight etc.

next using the pipet inside the EXO bottle drew a line of product out onto the cloth running the length of the block. this was more than enough to cover a door or half a bonnet before using a first cloth to lightly spread and a second to make sure all residue was removed with the aid of a sun gun. in honestly though this new version simply melts into the paint and once you get into a bit of a rhythm becomes a joy to apply and buff. it spreads as well as anything ive used before if a little hard to see on the particular colour of car.

finishing off buffing

next as the sun was out the car was backed out of the garage to complete the glass and wheels. the glass proved even easier to coat than the paintwork as the coating was much easier to see.

next the rear valance was coated with C1 to bring it back to life showing its still the daddy when it comes to dressing even the most faded of plastic trim

before:

50:50

after:

engine bay was also given a quick spray with 303 aerospace protectant

and finally quite a few finished shots in the sun :thumb:

congratulations if youve managed to get this far!

id love to at this stage show you some beading shots of the new exo in action but the car had to remain dry for 3 hours to allow a full bond to the paint the owner ensures he'll report back as soon as it rains though so i'll post again once it does rain and start beading.

C&C welcome and thanks again for reading

Dave

[Edited on 28-04-2013 by Toby]
VegasPhil
Premium Member

28th Apr 13 at 17:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice work and nice car

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Toby
Premium Member

28th Apr 13 at 17:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Phil. Chuffed with how it came out.
whitter45

28th Apr 13 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lovely

Unusual to see a coupe without leather
Jambo

28th Apr 13 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice, shame there aren't many before shots!
Wrighty

28th Apr 13 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i really fancy one of these, what they like? whats your mpg etc. i might get a 330
bigron1988

28th Apr 13 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
i really fancy one of these, what they like? whats your mpg etc. i might get a 330

not fancy a 335d ? got one atm and its a mega car returning 45/50mpg on motorway and still enough power to have fun in
Wrighty

28th Apr 13 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

330d would be enough for my everyday journey
Toby
Premium Member

28th Apr 13 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
Lovely

Unusual to see a coupe without leather

Pre LCI they pretty much all don't have leather in the msports as they all got alcantara it's on in the LCI models that leather was spec'd as standard.

Edit: tbh while it does also look a bit more poverty spec I do prefer it. Leather with a shirt on is an absolute nightmare and the alcantara is pretty much constant temperature not hot or cold

[Edited on 28-04-2013 by Toby]
Toby
Premium Member

28th Apr 13 at 20:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty

Great car, well built, very refined. Without the run flats handle reasonably well for a big girl. At the time the bigger engines were about 3k more and couldn't justify it and I'm happy with the power. They map to arous 210/220 anyway which is more than a 325d.

Mpg is averaging 50.3 and I don't drive it slowly. Averages just under 50 at 8mph. Currently doing 2k + a month as well. Not needed anything other than tyres and services which can be steep with BMW but its all part of ownership.

Toby
Premium Member

28th Apr 13 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Nice, shame there aren't many before shots!

Wasn't that dirty tbh. 150 miles on the motorway in heavy raid had cleaned it up well. Wheels were the worst and the Marjority of that can be seen. Never seen Iron X working like that before on wheels, serious contamination there.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » E92 Msport Detailed 24 database queries in 0.0155900 seconds