corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Hoovers (Vacuum Cleaners)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Hoovers (Vacuum Cleaners)
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd Jun 13 at 12:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Missus is beating me into submission on this one, but she's right - we need a new hoover

Current one is one of those "drag along the floor" jobbies with a long hose and a tube thingy. Ace for taking outside and doing the car, but it's struggling indoors to get car hair out of the carpet and generally has poor suction anyway. I'll probably keep the old hoover for car cleaning purposes, so not too concerned about that drawback.

Did some googling and it suggests that upright ones are better for pet hair due to the independent motor driving the brush thingy, rather than relying on suction like my current one.

With that in mind, does anybody have any recommendations? Are Dyson still the "go-to" brand, or are others worth consideration?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

2nd Jun 13 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we have a 'hoover' at the moment. it's our 2nd one after our old vax one gave up.

it's great at lifting up cat hair (we have 3, 2 of which shed a lot of fur).

honestly though, i wish i'd bought a dyson as they're just far superior in every way.
Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd Jun 13 at 14:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough, eyeing up a DC50 atm. It's got a retractable handle which is good because we're storage limited.

£260 down from £320 on the Dyson website (and most retailers).

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Graeme
Premium Member

2nd Jun 13 at 15:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just bought a DC44. It's a rechargeable one. Was skeptical about it being good for all the house but it is. Just do a room at a time. Find we use it alot more as just pick it up to do each bit.
John

2nd Jun 13 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Henry, dyson is only good for 5 minutes until it stops picking anything up.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

2nd Jun 13 at 15:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dyson ball.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
fred7

2nd Jun 13 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We had a dc24 dyson ball lasted about 5 years motor went and could of been replaced but got a vax instead and was a big mistake! Defo go back to dyson next time we need a vacuum
Ben G

2nd Jun 13 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

why does it stop picking up? my dad actually got one out of a skip that some idiot had thrown away. gave it a clean up and it worked fine, so he sold it on ebay and made a good bit of money
andy_mk3

2nd Jun 13 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
quote:

why does it stop picking up? my dad actually got one out of a skip that some idiot had thrown away. gave it a clean up and it worked fine, so he sold it on ebay and made a good bit of money

I got mine out the skip too, it's an old DC05 or something I think. It was clogged up with what appeared to mostly be cement and dog hair very badly. I stripped it all down, washed it out, and 2 years later it still sucks like a good'un

I don't think the newer Dysons are made quite so well, they're all getting a bit fancy.
richardworrall
Premium Member

2nd Jun 13 at 18:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.sebo.co.uk/ had one of these. Couldn't fault em.
Gavin
Premium Member

2nd Jun 13 at 19:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We had a Miele Cat & Dogs vacuum a while back

Miele will last years, and comes the extra attachments with motorised brushes... supposedly built for pets

[Edited on 02-06-2013 by Gavin]

pew pew pew pewwwww
John

2nd Jun 13 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andy_mk3
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
quote:

I got mine out the skip too, it's an old DC05 or something I think. It was clogged up with what appeared to mostly be cement and dog hair very badly. I stripped it all down, washed it out, and 2 years later it still sucks like a good'un

I don't think the newer Dysons are made quite so well, they're all getting a bit fancy.

Cleaned it out the first couple of times then just bought a new one instead.

One lying in the work with the same problem, the hose bit stops working first.
Cavey

2nd Jun 13 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've had numerous cheaper bag less vacuums that have all been awful and last a few goes before being pointless, got a Dyson now finally and its brilliant, actually feels like you're achieving something when hoovering instead of moving things around.

The ball is admittedly very easy to manoeuvre as well. I wouldn't buy anything else tbh.
RichR
Premium Member

2nd Jun 13 at 21:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

This may be a first but I'm about to agree with John; I have a Dyson Animal thing and a Henry and the Henry takes everything that's thrown at it. My house is half renovated, half a building site so I bought the Dyson thinking I'd use that in the completed areas and keep the Henry for the building stuff; rubble, dust, soil etc. the Henry is by far the better of the two and being able to use it with a bag or essentially have it as an industrial type vacuum without a bag means that it does both ends of the spectrum superbly plus it has the dual speed motor as well. I very rarely use the Dyson now and tbh, it was a waste of money as the Henry is much better.

Only thing I would do if it died would be to buy a James which is a wet vac version but I've had the Henry 5 years now, used it for all manner of building waste and its still showing no sign of dying!!
_Allan_

2nd Jun 13 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Henry for me too. Nearly everyone I know has one, including work and even the local car valaters etc...

Never had an issue with it and pretty much every part is replaceable.
Ben G

2nd Jun 13 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we use henry's in work also. i hoover up all the clutch and flywheel bolts and it never stops working. it's immense.
andy_mk3

2nd Jun 13 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have a henry at work too.. well it's a 'Numatic', runs off 110v I think. It' takes whatever you throw at it, but they're designed for it
Gary
Premium Member

2nd Jun 13 at 22:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a karcher for work stuff and it pisses all over the henry.

Wouldn't have a brushless vac for carpets though
Graham88

3rd Jun 13 at 00:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought a reconditioned Dyson DC24 off eBay for £100 with a years warranty, it's been perfect. I'd go with a new Dyson if I was buying new. But at £100 with warranty for a year, I'll just keep buying them to be honest if they do break. My Mum had her DC04 for like 5-6 years or something.
Ben J

3rd Jun 13 at 06:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For home i'd say Dyson all day long.

For industrial use/car etc i'd say Henry.
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Jun 13 at 09:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a Henry at work, so I know how good they are - its justthe lack of brush which puts me off, no amount of suction can lift cat hairs out of the carpet!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben J

3rd Jun 13 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Got a Henry at work, so I know how good they are - its justthe lack of brush which puts me off, no amount of suction can lift cat hairs out of the carpet!

Dyson upright then.

They do an "Animal" version too which is designed for pet hair etc.

Dyson are as good as they hype. Piece of piss to maintain and clean too. And are covered by good warrenty.
Dom

3rd Jun 13 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Henry with the air brush (Henry Extra i believe) or a Harry which is designed for pets; can also get reusable bags for them.

Edit - Just look on the Numatic International site; they do a shed load of models.

[Edited on 03-06-2013 by Dom]
James

3rd Jun 13 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richardworrall
http://www.sebo.co.uk/ had one of these. Couldn't fault em.

This.

Do your research. Sebo come out on top of Dyson, but because of all the marketing/publicity, everyone goes for Dyson.

Sebo are expensive and not bagless, but well worth it IMO.

New Poll