corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Finishing Apprenticeship

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Finishing Apprenticeship
ljames555

User status: Offline
3rd Jun 13 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have 6 months left of a instrumentation apprenticeship and have finished my nvq and all associated qualifications with the only thing left is a end of scheme review with managers.

I have an opportunity within the next 2 months to join another company on 12k extra a year (compared to my wage in 6 months).

Now I've checked my contract and it doesn't state any pay back in place but the main worry is can the company I'm with now not sign off my nvq qualification and not give me qualifications I've done if I was to leave in 2-3 months.

I am under the impression once you do a qualification the company have no power to refuse it due to being a separate organisation from the regulating body.

Obviously if the risk is to much Ill stay until I've received paper copies.

taylorboosh

3rd Jun 13 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id stay untill you have finished your time
oceansoul

3rd Jun 13 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Intresting that. Ive never heard of a purly Instrumentation based apprenticeship. What is it that you've been studying? I work in ICA (Instruments, Control and Automation). Did my apprenticeship in all 3 fields

I'd deffo say stick with it until you have finished your time. Preferably until you have your certificates in hand.
Marc

3rd Jun 13 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I left pretty much as soon as I had all the paperwork.
ljames555

3rd Jun 13 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
Intresting that. Ive never heard of a purly Instrumentation based apprenticeship. What is it that you've been studying? I work in ICA (Instruments, Control and Automation). Did my apprenticeship in all 3 fields

I'd deffo say stick with it until you have finished your time. Preferably until you have your certificates in hand.

Electrical and mechanical.

That's the annoying thing other apprentices have had to wait another 6 months for paperwork
Ben J

3rd Jun 13 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ljames555
I have 6 months left of a instrumentation apprenticeship and have finished my nvq and all associated qualifications with the only thing left is a end of scheme review with managers.

I have an opportunity within the next 2 months to join another company on 12k extra a year (compared to my wage in 6 months).

Now I've checked my contract and it doesn't state any pay back in place but the main worry is can the company I'm with now not sign off my nvq qualification and not give me qualifications I've done if I was to leave in 2-3 months.

I am under the impression once you do a qualification the company have no power to refuse it due to being a separate organisation from the regulating body.

Obviously if the risk is to much Ill stay until I've received paper copies.

It's the training provider/awarding body that sign off your NVQ not your employers. If you've completed your NVQ fully you will still get certificate for that etc. Your assessor will be able to ensure all the requirements are met before you bail. They will need to or the training provider will lose all funding from your apprenticeship. Definatley speak to your NVQ assessor first though before doing anything.

[Edited on 03-06-2013 by Ben J]
Ben J

3rd Jun 13 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul

Electrical and mechanical.

That's the annoying thing other apprentices have had to wait another 6 months for paperwork

Depends on the awarding body. Some do take ages.

[Edited on 03-06-2013 by Ben J]
Ian
Site Administrator

3rd Jun 13 at 21:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

That is correct although it does depend how far through the accreditation process you are as to whether the qual is finished and awarded. If the organisation still needs to do any of their bits, they may choose to drag that on.

If the qual is finished then you're in a better position. A lot of organsations have moved away from withholding certs as a matter of course but that's more best practice in the sector than legislation.

In any case, the qual is awarded to you directly by the awarding body and there's no reason why you couldn't undermine the provider and apply for duplicates although these are costly.

Course fees are a different matter though. There could well be something contractual that says you need to pay back fees if you leave soon after completing. Depending how the tuition and assessment was funded this could be as little as the awarding body fees (which could still be approaching £100 or so based on entry, a few moderation visits and the certificate itself) or amount to whole load of contact time, assessment visits etc. Even if you didn't pay and didn't expect to, there would have been a cost to running the qual and a student contribution as a proportion of that.

If there's no reason not to ask them then it might be worth doing so. I would think they'll know as its not exactly an uncommon outcome. They might even be happy you're progressing on within that career. Depends how much interest they have on you working for them for less money once you're qualified.
ljames555

3rd Jun 13 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Much appreciated fellas going to have a think and speak to assessors.

12k is a new bike or 2

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Finishing Apprenticeship 23 database queries in 0.0112638 seconds